Evra hits out at Arsenal tackles
Sunday 24 May 2009
Patrice Evra has hit out at the rough treatment by Arsenal players in their recent match, claiming they could have cost him an appearance in next week's Champions League final.
United drew 0-0 with Arsenal in the Barclays Premier League at Old Trafford last Saturday, a result which confirmed United as champions for the third successive year.
However, Evra was left fuming at a tackle from Cesc Fabregas at the start of the second half which left him hobbling and still complaining even after treatment.
The incident followed late challenges by Gunners duo Robin Van Persie and Andrey Arshavin on United's Ronaldo and Michael Carrick respectively, while Samir Nasri was cautioned afterwards for a foul on Evra.
The French defender told The Sunday Express: "The bad challenge was from Fabregas when he caught my knee.
"I was very angry. I don't know why the Arsenal players did that.
"Okay I said some things they didn't appreciate after the Champions League game at the Emirates (which United won to make sure of their place in the final against Barcelona in Rome).
"But I don't know why some Arsenal players did that. You might miss the Champions League final because of one stupid tackle."
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Latest in Sport
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant