FA asks to see video evidence of Leicester fracas

Click to follow
The Independent Football

The Football Association has requested video footage of the mass confrontation among players during Saturday's match between Leicester and Manchester City.

Both sides' players were involved in angry pushing and shoving after the referee, Andy D'Urso, awarded Leicester a controversial penalty during the 1-1 draw at the Walkers Stadium. City's players felt Muzzy Izzet had deliberately handled the ball before being brought down by Michael Tarnat, sparking a series of mêlées as tempers frayed.

While City team-mates surrounded D'Urso, Richard Dunne chased and confronted Izzet, Paulo Wanchope fell to ground after a clash with Marcus Bent, and Kevin Keegan, the City manager, and Leicester's Steffen Freund started arguing on the touchline. Six minutes after the fracas began, the England goalkeeper David James dived to his right to save Paul Dickov's late penalty and salvage a draw.

The Chelsea defender Robert Huth is also to face trial by video and may face a three-match ban after his alleged stamp on Newcastle's Alan Shearer. The German appeared to kick out after being penalised for a foul in his side's 2-1 Premiership defeat at St James' Park on Sunday. The FA has called for video evidence.

The match referee Rob Styles did not spot the incident, which was perhaps fortunate for Huth who had earlier been booked for a push on Titus Bramble after replacing Desailly with 19 minutes of the game remaining.

Losing Huth would come as a blow to Claudio Ranieri's side as they attempt to clinch second place and automatic qualification for the Champions' League.

William Gallas missed the trip to Newcastle through illness while John Terry recovered from an ankle injury to retain his place in the starting line-up.

With Marcel Desailly having been turned by both Shola Ameobi and Shearer as they scored their goals a St James', Ranieri could well do without losing the German for the run-in, which includes the second leg of the Blues' Champions' League semi-final against Monaco.

Newcastle's defensive crisis has deepened after it was revealed that Andy O'Brien has lost his appeal against a red card and will miss two of his side's four remaining Premiership games. The 24-year-old was dismissed just 10 minutes into the 0-0 draw at Aston Villa on April 18 for a professional foul on Darius Vassell.

The FA today confirmed he had been unsuccessful in his bid to have the red card overturned.

"Andy O'Brien did appeal against the decision," said and FA spokesman. "It was considered, but was unsuccessful."

That will come as a bitter blow to Sir Bobby Robson's side following the victory over Chelsea in which Jonathan Woodgate damaged a thigh muscle.