Fresh from scoring against Swindon in the Capital One Cup, Fernando Torres expects he and his fellow Chelsea strikers Samuel Eto’o and Demba Ba to play an important role this season.
It has appeared since the arrival of Samuel Eto'o that the Cameroon striker is Jose Mourinho's favoured forward - with Torres and Ba having been largely ignored.
Et'o was named in the first XI for the first three games he was available for selection, even though he looked short of fitness and wayward in front of goal.
Yet Torres is the only forward to have scored for the club this season, grabbing his second of the season in the 2-0 win over Swindon on Tuesday.
Despite that, Eto'o is expected to start in the match against Spurs at the weekend according to the Evening Standard, but Torres is unconcerned.
“We have great strikers and all of us are going to score goals," said the Spain international. "It’s nice to have this competition. The season is going to be long like the last one. There’ll be time for all of us to play in important games and score some goals.
“The main thing is we keep winning. We are in the top four in the Premier League and have moved one step forward in the [League] Cup.
“We’re all fighting to be in the line-up, to be in the squad. It is not easy but is good for the improvement of the team. There are players who have not been involved in the last few matches and the passion and character is plain to see.
“The response of the team has been great. The match against Swindon was my first 90 minutes since the Bayern Munich game in the [Uefa] Super Cup. Sometimes you don’t realise you haven’t played 90 minutes for a couple of games until you feel so tired at the end.”
Chelsea go into the match at White Hart Lane on the back of two victories having been under pressure just a week ago following consecutive defeats.
Mourinho, who returned to the club as manager in the summer, came under heavy criticism last week for the team’s performances against Everton and Basle in the Premier League and Champions League respectively.
He has told the fans that it will take time for the players to adapt to the new football philosophy he is trying to introduce, which has also seen crowd favourite Juan Mata left out of the side. But Torres believes Chelsea have made a strong opening to the campaign under the circumstances and will improve as each week goes by.
He added: “A new manager always brings different ideas. There are new things that we have to change from the past and that takes time.
“Manchester United and Manchester City have changed their managers so we are in the same situation. It’s not an excuse. We have a young squad, a very good one. We’re working and everyone is getting better. The season has only just started and can be very good. I think we have to go like the manager says, game by game, bit by bit.”
Cesar Azpilicueta is another Chelsea player determined to fight for his place and that is because he wants to fulfil his dream of playing for Spain at the World Cup next summer.
Mourinho has made Branislav Ivanovic his first-choice right-back this term, with Azpilicueta starting his first game of the season against Swindon.
It means the 24-year-old, who is being targeted by Athletic Bilbao over a possible transfer in January, is in danger of losing his spot in the Spain squad.
However, he said: “The national team has an abundance of talent but I’m going to keep trying to force my way into this exceptional side.”
Meanwhile, Marco van Ginkel could be out for up to nine months after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament against Swindon. It is believed the 20-year-old midfielder will undergo surgery today.Reuse content