Fulham v Crystal Palace: Tony Pulis refuses to confirm whether he will still be Eagles manager next season despite terrific turnaround
Pulis admits he hopes to still be at Selhurst Park next term after leading the Eagles to Premier League safety in their first year back in the top flight
Saturday 10 May 2014
Tony Pulis has offered no guarantees that he will still be in charge at Crystal Palace next season.
The Eagles face relegated Fulham on Sunday as they bring the curtain down on a remarkable campaign, in which Pulis has hauled them from the bottom three in November to mid-table.
But the Selhurst Park boss will hold talks with chairman Steve Parish next week and wants assurances about the direction of the club before deciding whether the trip to Craven Cottage will be his last game at the helm.
"Will I be here next season? I hope so," he said. "I've got two years left on my contract but there are managers with longer than that who get the sack, so you can never say I'm going to be here 100 per cent.
"I think there are certain things that should be done at football clubs to enable them to be successful.
"The club has a window of opportunity, the best opportunity the club has had for a long, long time to actually go forth and improve on and off the pitch.
"I had a smashing meeting with Steve on Thursday. We'll get the game out of the way on Sunday and Steve will have spoken to the other directors about my thoughts about moving the club on, and we will all be having dinner again next week when no doubt those discussions will go on further.
"You can't stop speculation and people saying he's going to do this or that. The two most important people at a club are the chairman and the manager. My relationship with Steve has grown stronger and stronger the longer I have been at the club."
Pulis guided his former club Stoke into the top flight and turned them into Premier League mainstays over the next five years, and clearly he wants to achieve the same with Palace.
"There's so much work to be done but Steve recognises that," he added. "Are we at loggerheads? No we aren't, he understands what's needed."
"Stoke had been outside the top league for 20-odd years and that shouldn't have happened with the support up there.
"I had a chairman who agreed with what we wanted to do. If the two of you pull in the same way and you get results you can move mountains. We did that at Stoke and we can do it at Palace.
"I've been amazed about how passionate the supporters have been and how big the club could be - there are millions of chimney pots around here, and wherever there are chimney pots there are people who will come and watch football."
Pulis will have a fully-fit squad at Fulham after striker Cameron Jerome recovered from the illness which kept him out of the 3-3 draw with Liverpool on Monday.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Tottenham: Eden Hazard exclusive interview - All is rosy in the garden of Eden
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
It's time to stop the 'small club' jibes after Chelsea signed £200m Yokohama deal
After record-breaking £5.136bn Premier League TV deal, why are Everton the only British club to win in Europe?
Robbie Savage avoids driving ban - because he would get 'accosted' too much if he had to use public transport
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 MH370: 'Putin ordered plane to be flown to Kazakhstan space port,' conspiracy theory claims
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East