Gareth Bale ends transfer speculation by signing new Tottenham deal


Gareth Bale is determined to propel Tottenham back into the Champions League after signing a new four-year contract.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester City were linked with a move for Bale, but he has extended his stay at White Hart Lane by a further season until 2016.

The 22-year-old Wales winger made his decision despite Tottenham's failure to qualify for next season's Champions League.

Instead, he wants to ensure managerless Spurs are restored to Europe's elite competition for the 2013/14 campaign.

"The club is progressing and I want to be a part of that, so it was great to get the deal done," Bale told Tottenham's official website,

"I've been here for five years now and I've enjoyed every minute," he said.

"The fans have been great to me and I'd love to repay them and do the very best for them.

"The club is progressing and I want to be a part of that, so it was great to get the deal done.

"I love the club and the fans and I want to play my part in trying to get us back into the Champions League - where we belong.

"We have a good, young squad and we need to work together to get back on the biggest stage."

Bale's decision to stay is a significant coup for Spurs, who are in a state of flux following the departure of Harry Redknapp last week.

Former Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas is reportedly close to succeeding Redknapp after edging France coach Laurent Blanc for the post.

A pressing concern for Villas-Boas will be resolving the future of Luka Modric, who has been strongly linked with a transfer to Real Madrid.

But the pain of losing Modric will be less acute now that Bale, a £7million signing from Southampton in 2007 who is now valued at £40million, has agreed fresh terms.

Hopes of signing Jan Vertonghen are fading, however, due to a clause in the Belgium defender's contract with Ajax.

Vertonghen is entitled to 15% of the agreed £9.5million transfer deal under the terms of his deal with the Dutch champions.

Ajax have indicated their reluctance to honour the clause and while the 25-year-old still seeks a move to Tottenham, he is resigned to staying in Amsterdam.

"This is a shame. I thought that it would be sorted out much sooner," he told Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad.

"As it looks now, I'll be at Ajax on July 2. I'm hoping for a solution, but I'm not expecting a solution.

"I have one advantage: Ajax have got a good coach who knows me.

"I play in a good, stable squad. Let's become champions with Ajax for the third time in a row."

Completing a busy day at White Hart Lane was Vedran Corluka's transfer to Lokomotiv Moscow in a three-year deal.

The 26-year-old Croatia defender, who was loaned to Bayer Leverkusen in January, ends his four-year association with Tottenham after passing a medical.

"I'm very pleased we managed to strengthen with such a high-profile player like Corluka," Lokomotiv head coach Cyril Kotov told the club's official website,