Harry Redknapp blames 'badly loaded Tottenham contract' for missing out on England job
Current QPR boss was the favourite but lost out to Roy Hodgson
Thursday 04 April 2013
Harry Redknapp insists he would reject any approach to become England manager and blames his contract at Tottenham for his failure to succeed Fabio Capello.
Redknapp was the strong favourite to fill a post he had long coveted when Capello resigned in February last year, only for the Football Association to appoint Roy Hodgson.
The 66-year-old QPR manager, who was sacked by Tottenham in June after failing to agree a new contract, believes the cost of luring him from White Hart Lane convinced the FA to look elsewhere.
"I wouldn't take it [the England job] now, no. Not now, not in the future," Redknapp told Twentyfour7 Football magazine.
"That was my time, really, if I was going to get it. Last year there were a lot of things that went against me surrounding that massive contractual clause.
"People will always deny that is the reason, the FA couldn't say that and I won't say, but it didn't help me.
"I had such a badly loaded contract it was crazy, in Tottenham's favour. That's what you get for not reading your contract properly.
"It was a massive amount that someone would have had to pay to get me out of it.
"If they sacked me it wasn't so massive and that was a bolt out of the blue, a shock, I genuinely never saw it coming."
Redknapp insists Tottenham's decision to sack him was made by owner Joe Lewis and not chief executive Daniel Levy.
"Was it Levy who cut the cord? It was other people, the owner of the club that decided," he said.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal are so close to winning the Premier League, but sometimes Arsene Wenger holds them back, says Jamie Carragher
Arsenal transfer news: Tomas Rosicky and Mathieu Flamini set for showdown summer talks over future
David Beckham reveals secret of his success: I 'stayed in to watch Match of the Day' rather than go out with friends on a Saturday night
Real Madrid vs Juventus preview: Juventus know they must attack to match past European glory
Two new members of Floyd Mayweather's The Money Team blag their way into entourage to celebrate to celebrate with Justin Bieber
- 2 Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Ryan Gosling posts tribute to 'Ryan Gosling Won't Eat His Cereal' creator Ryan McHenry
In defence of liberal democracy
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally