Keeper Robinson heads late lifeline for struggling Leeds

Leeds United 2 Swindon Town 2 aet; score at 90min 2-2; Leeds win 4-3 on pens
Click to follow

The goalkeeper, Paul Robinson, was the saviour of Leeds United's Carling Cup ambitions in a dramatic second-round tie at Elland Road which was ultimately settled by a penalty shoot-out in which Robinson made two brilliant saves, but which had turned on a headed goal by the Leeds shot-stopper in the dying moments of normal time.

Only 15 seconds remained of the four minutes added on by the referee, Mark Clattenburg, when Robinson raced forward as Leeds, trailing 2-1 to the spirited Second Division side, won a corner. Ian Harte took it short and Michael Bridges, playing for the first time since last December, launched a cross towards the near post. Robinson leaped highest to power the ball past the Swindon goalkeeper, Rhys Evans. His first senior goal came only days after Sunderland's Mart Poom headed his side level in the last seconds of their match at Derby.

It was desperately bad luck on Swindon, who thoroughly deserved to go through against a strong Leeds side and were forced to play the whole of extra time with 10 men after losing their goalkeeper, Bart Griemink, to an 87th-minute red card.

Andy King's team, though pinned back in their own half for long periods, were worthy of enormous credit for restricting Leeds - who gave David Batty his first start for 18 months - largely to half-chances, and they went ahead with a stunning free-kick a minute from the end of the first half. From 35 yards the Swindon captain, Andy Gurney, beat Robinson with a terrific curling strike.

Griemink made a brilliant stop with his foot to deny the Leeds teenager Aaron Lennon an instant equaliser. The keeper was unfortunate not to finish the match. Although the punishment for his second offence, a foul on Alan Smith just outside the area, was fair, his first yellow card for taking the ball out of his area early in the second half looked a poor decision.

Swindon extended their lead with 16 minutes left, their leading scorer, Sam Parkin, nipping between two defenders to turn in Sammy Igoe's low cross.

Harte handed Leeds belated hope with an almost instant reply, volleying home Lennon's corner, but it seemed history would repeat itself for King - once Reid's chief scout at Sunderland - who was in charge of Mansfield when the Third Division side knocked Leeds out of the Coca-Cola Cup in 1994.

Swindon led the shoot-out 3-2 after Harte's kick had hit the outside of a post but Roque Junior and Lucas Radebe edged Leeds ahead as Robinson saved first from Stefani Miglioranzi and then Gurney to leave the Wiltshire side wondering how they had failed to progress.

Leeds United (4-4-2): Robinson; Kelly (Radebe, 37), Camara, Roque Junior, Harte; Lennon, Batty, Olembe, Wilcox (Domi, h-t); A Smith, Chapuis (Bridges, 59). Substitutes not used: Carson (gk), Johnson.

Swindon Town (5-3-2): Griemink; G Smith, Heywood, Gurney, Reeves, Duke; Igoe (Evans, 88), Hewlett, Miglioranzi; Stevenson (Howard, 62), Parkin .Substitutes not used: Viveash, Herring, Nicholas.

Referee: M Clattenburg (Co Durham).