Kieron Dyer unlikely to play for QPR this season
Friday 16 December 2011
Kieron Dyer is unlikely to play for QPR again this season after manager Neil Warnock revealed the injury-plagued midfielder requires another operation on his foot.
Dyer has not played a competitive game for Rangers since the opening day of the season when he was carried off on a stretcher after injuring the foot on his debut against Bolton.
The 32-year-old had been making good progress in his rehabilitation from the injury and was expected to return after Christmas.
The former Newcastle midfielder injured his foot again during a reserve game with Tottenham this week, however, and looks likely to be out for several weeks.
Warnock is likely to leave Dyer out of his 25-man squad when he re-submits it to the Premier League after the next transfer window shuts, meaning the midfielder may never play for Rangers again.
"This is a devastating blow for Kieron," Warnock told QPR's website.
"I have never met a more determined pro in my career, and he really doesn't deserve this.
"The specialist said he thought Kieron could return before Christmas without the need for an operation and is disappointed that this is not the case, and he has no alternative now but to operate."
"I have absolutely no doubt that he will recover after the operation," he continued.
"We are going to support him as best we can because he has got such a contribution to make, both on and off the field.
"And even though he has not featured for us, he has made a vital contribution at the training ground and has been very important to have around the place."
While Dyer is unlikely to play again this season, Warnock insists that the Rs will stick by him during his rehabilitation.
"We are aware that Kieron's contract can be terminated in January," he said.
"But, having spoke to [chairman] Tony Fernandes and the rest of the shareholders, we want to support Kieron in this time, even though it may mean he is not in our 25 for the rest of the season.
"I feel he has a lot to offer the club. We will be involving him in many aspects of the club while he rehabilitates."
Dyer became QPR's second summer signing, penning a one-year deal on the same day as fellow new boy Jay Bothroyd in July.
The 32-year-old midfielder has been beset by injuries in recent years and was released by relegated West Ham at the end of last season.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 4 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
- 5 Facebook rainbow profile pictures likely being tracked by social network
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
Tunisia beach attack: How can British Muslims respond to the latest outrages?