Leighton Baines: Left-back to agree new contract with Everton this week, signalling the end of Manchester United's pursuit - reports
United twice had bids rejected for the 29-year-old during the summer
Monday 20 January 2014
Everton are reportedly close to agreeing a contract extension with Leighton Baines by the end of this week, signalling the end of Manchester United's pursuit of the left-back.
David Moyes, Baines' former manager at Goodison Park now at United, twice had bids rejected for the England international during the summer.
The Independent also revealed that Baines was keen on a move to Old Trafford.
The 29-year-old's contract runs out in 18 months, but Toffees' manager Roberto Martinez has spoken of his confidence the player would stay in Merseyside.
"In football you don't work long term, you go window to window and I can guarantee that Leighton will be here at the end of the season," Martinez said last month. "That is 100 per cent.
"That is how you work from window to window - to have a stronger squad than previously."
He added: "Leighton is vital for us in the second half of the season. Bryan Oviedo has been terrific, but we need Leighton and Bryan fit for us, if we are going to fight for our football dream."
Baines joined Everton from Wigan in 2007 in a deal worth £6m, and has made 214 Premier League appearances for the club.
David Moyes' other potential January transfer targets for Manchester United
Latest in Sport
Fifa corruption: Could Fifa's president Sepp Blatter face arrest as part of the FBI investigation into alleged corruption?
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
Bath vs Saracens live: Saracens win Premiership final with 28-16 victory thanks to tries from Owen Farrell, Jamie George and Chris Wyles
Fifa corruption live: Sepp Blatter tries to shift attention to Uefa and says he expects more from US investigators
Young Preston fan who had Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley presented with replacement signed by the play-off hero
- 1 Engineer pictured fixing plane's engine with 'duct tape' by concerned EasyJet passenger
- 2 Two-year-old says goodbye to bin man best friend
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 Remove smartphones from the hands of under-18s and maybe they will grow up to be less dumb
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'