Liverpool contender Andre Villas-Boas wants 'strong technical plan'
Wednesday 23 May 2012
Andre Villas-Boas, one of the favourites for the vacant Liverpool job, is looking for a club with a "strong technical plan" which has longevity, according to his agent.
The Portuguese is the front runner to replace Kenny Dalglish but has also been linked with Italian club Roma, whose manager Luis Enrique left the club a week ago after a disappointing eighth-placed finish.
Villas-Boas himself was dismissed at Chelsea just eight months after signing a three-year contract as Europe's hottest managerial property.
The 34-year-old thought the move to Stamford Bridge would be the start of a long-term project but after being unceremoniously dumped by owner Roman Abramovich he is looking for a new opportunity to re-establish his credentials.
"What we are looking for is a strong technical plan, that is solid and durable," his agent Carlos Goncalves told romagiallorossa.com.
"Villas-Boas would like to return to coaching in these conditions, but if these conditions are not available, we would have no problems not working.
"I won't confirm or deny contacts with specific clubs. What we are interested in is a technical project, its outlook and a situation that has longevity.
"Liverpool? Again, we look for a club which is very strong and competitive.
"We will see if there are conditions that will attract us with any club."
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez was one of the first contenders to be revealed and while the Latics boss has now gone on a Caribbean holiday it is thought he is preparing for a meeting with Liverpool's principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner in the coming days.
Reports have linked Louis van Gaal with the sporting director's role at Liverpool after an internal restructuring at the club by Fenway Sports Group divided up the responsibilities previously held by director of football Damien Comolli.
However, suggestions in Holland are that the 60-year-old former Ajax and Holland coach, who has been out of work since he was sacked by Bayern Munich 13 months ago, would prefer the manager's job.
Meanwhile fans supporting the claims of former manager Rafael Benitez have set up a website in an attempt to persuade FSG to speak to the Champions League-winning Spaniard.
So far there has been no contact with Benitez, who is out of work and living in the area, and the suggestion has been that he would not be considered but a campaign has begun to ask FSG to reconsider.
The creators of www.talktorafa.com claim they have Henry's email address and they are asking fans to fill in a form on their website to tell the American reasons why he should 'Talk to Rafa'.
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Manchester United player ratings: Match-winner Eden Hazard leads the way, but Radamel Falcao endures game to forget
Chelsea 1 Manchester United 0: Eight things we learnt as Blues step closer to the Premier League title
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: Where are the tickets for the fight?
Chelsea transfer news: Jose Mourinho plays down news signings Nathan and Yoshinori Muto but talks up Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Arsenal transfer news: Mikel Arteta needs 'five minutes' to sign new contract and remain with the Gunners
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby of them all could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Professional big game hunter Ian Gibson crushed to death by elephant during hunt
- 4 Farmer told to tear down mock-Tudor castle after hiding construction behind hay bales
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate