Loic Remy transfer to Newcastle thrown into doubt
Marseille coach Elie Baup suggests striker may stay in France
Wednesday 09 January 2013
Marseille coach Elie Baup has hinted Loic Remy might stay at the Ligue 1 club and scupper Newcastle's chances of signing the talented striker.
Magpies boss Alan Pardew has identified Remy as his preferred replacement for Demba Ba, who left Tyneside to join Chelsea earlier this month.
Pardew is believed to face competition from Bundesliga sides Schalke and Borussia Dortmund to secure the signature of the France international, but according to Baup, Remy could just as likely stay at the Stade Velodrome until the end of the season.
"For a year, every transfer window, we have been talking about his departure," Baup told La Provence.
"But he is still there. Maybe he still will be in the summer."
It was rumoured that Remy had travelled to the north east earlier this week ahead of a medical, but that was disproved when he was confirmed in the Marseille squad that travelled to Morocco for a training camp.
The 26-year-old played in OM's 2-1 win over Guingamp in the Coupe de France on Sunday before he travelled to Marrakech for a three-day training programme as part of a 21-strong squad ahead of the resumption of Ligue 1 this weekend.
As well as playing down Remy's potential departure, Baup also dismissed claims the striker is being negatively affected by the constant speculation about his future.
Baup said: "As this is the third transfer window where we are talking about his departure, he does not focus on it.
"He seeks primarily to regain his touch. The physical side, he has found. He must now partner that with the co-ordination of movements and feeling of the game."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea in Thailand: Eden Hazard offered 'free hug' as Jose Mourinho meets a familiar face
Heysel disaster 30th anniversary: Liverpool have seen too much tragedy to forget that fateful day in Belgium
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'