Manchester City have not made contact with Rooney
Wednesday 20 October 2010
Manchester City have had no contact with Wayne Rooney, according to manager Roberto Mancini.
Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed yesterday the England striker would not sign a new contract at Old Trafford and many see Eastlands as the most likely destination.
Asked if there had been contact between City and the player, Mancini said: "No. Never."
Mancini echoed the comments of Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho, who said last night he expected the player to stay where he is.
"Rooney is a great player but I think he'll stay at United," said Mancini. "He's a good player, he's an important player for United."
Pressed on whether he would be keen to sign the striker, Mancini added: "He is a United player. It's not correct to speak about that situation.
"I have respect for him, for Ferguson, for United. I want to speak only about my players.
"It's not my problem. I'm City manager. I have a lot of problems with my players. It's important for me to focus on tomorrow's game.
"He is a strong player like (Fernando) Torres, like (Lionel) Messi, like Carlos Tevez, like (Mario) Balotelli. This is my opinion."
City and Madrid are seen as two of the most likely destinations for the 24-year-old, who Ferguson yesterday revealed had told United in August he was unwilling to sign a new contract.
Rooney's current deal runs out in the summer of 2012, so United will likely look to sell the player as soon as possible before his value starts to greatly decline with the prospect of a free transfer looming.
Should he make the move to Eastlands, he would be following in the footsteps of Tevez, who moved across the city last summer amid great acrimony and has shone for Mancini's side.
City host Lech Poznan in the Europa League tomorrow night.
Latest in Sport
Morgan Schneiderlin to Manchester United: Saints yet to receive 'serious offer' but midfielder could complete move by end of this week
Memphis Depay latest: Manchester United signing turns 'focus' on the season ahead
Sergio Ramos to Manchester United: Real Madrid defender 'wants' Old Trafford switch
Venezuelan TV host gets completely naked while reporting on Copa America win over Colombia
Manchester United transfer news: Javier Hernandez nears exit as Liverpool eye move for striker despite revealing Real Madrid video
- 1 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Tunisian builder has been hailed a hero after knocking gunman to the ground with roof tiles
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato