Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz not interested in return to England
Friday 12 October 2012
Roque Santa Cruz is happy to turn his back on the Premier League.
After successful stints at Bayern Munich and Blackburn, the Paraguay forward was tipped to make a big impression at Manchester City when Mark Hughes snapped him up for £17.5million in 2009.
Within six months though, Hughes had been replaced by Roberto Mancini and after a succession of injuries, Santa Cruz found himself surplus to requirements.
After loan spells back at Blackburn and with Real Betis, the 31-year-old was farmed out again this term, to another La Liga outfit, Malaga.
So far, Santa Cruz has made six appearance for the high-flying Andalucian club, all but one as a substitute.
He is enjoying the experience though. Enough to know that when his City contract expires at the end of the season, he will not be heading back to England.
"I do not see myself going back to the Premier League because my family are very settled here and I do not want to keep bringing my children back and forth [between England and Spain]," Santa Cruz told BBC World Service.
"I want something stable for my family for the next few years. I would consider moving back to South America - something else I would love to do in the future."
Santa Cruz has had a role in Malaga's superb start to their maiden Champions League campaign.
There is even a chance he could play against his parent club later in the competition, although clearly City would need to improve after picking up just a single point from their first two games.
Santa Cruz would welcome a meeting though, if only to have a chat with Mancini, a man he still respects despite the Italian's decision to dump him.
"We have an honest relationship with great respect," said Santa Cruz.
"He knows he will get the truth from me if he asks anything and I believe I can go to him too."
Latest in Sport
England vs New Zealand second Test match report: England’s bold boast turns into hot air and humiliation
Fifa corruption: Sepp Blatter's right-hand man Jerome Valcke 'sent' $10m payment to Jack Warner in letter from the South African FA
England 'favourites' to host 2018 World Cup after Sepp Blatter resignation - Qatar and Russia under pressure
Michael Schumacher: Bernie Ecclestone reveals why he can't visit former F1 champion because he 'doesn't want to see him like that'
Brendan Rodgers' job safe for now but Liverpool owners plan for improvement
- 1 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 3 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
- 5 We have six months to save the world, says leading economist
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers