Manchester United target Leighton Baines set to stay at Everton
Wednesday 26 June 2013
Everton defender Leighton Baines is looking forward to working with new manager Roberto Martinez and believes the quality of the Toffees' squad will give the Spaniard every chance of success.
The England defender was one of the players immediately linked with a summer transfer following the departure of boss David Moyes to Manchester United.
However, the 28-year-old is eager to start work on a new philosophy under Martinez and believes he and his team-mates can make it effective at Goodison Park.
One of the criticisms of Martinez is that he did not win enough games at Wigan and despite lifting the FA Cup he took the team down after eight years in the Premier League.
But Baines looks at the Spaniard's work far more positively.
"He was one of the first names linked with the job and the feeling straight away was he would be a great appointment," he said.
"He has a different style to what we have been used to but I think it is progressive and it will move us forward.
"It is also exciting for the players to be able to try that now.
"The style in general appeals to a lot of people. Wigan were a great side to watch - they just didn't win enough games.
"But the manager will be working with some better players here and he will be looking forward to that as well now, being able to put his plan out there.
"We have got good players at the club who could probably execute the style of play better than the players he's worked with before, without being disrespectful to them.
"He might have a little bit more confidence in the players - I am sure he had confidence in the players he had then but here are some really top players he can look forward to working with.
"We have time to work on it, whether it is a different style of play or whether the formation changes.
"By the time we kick the first ball of the season we will be well-versed on what he wants to do."
Baines has spoken to Martinez, albeit long distance as the player was on holiday and his manager has gone to the Confederations Cup, and is encouraged.
He thinks if the new boss can sign some new faces relatively early in the transfer window it will improve the mood in the camp further.
"We've chatted on the phone. We missed each other's call a couple of times but we eventually spoke last week," he told evertontv.
"It was just about speaking about the start of the season and looking forward to working with each other.
"Anyone you speak to only says great things about him, as a manager and as a person."
On the subject of early transfer activity he added: "It is always the best-case scenario but it doesn't always work like that.
"I am sure the manager will have identified his targets now. I think all mangers like to get their business done if possible.
"If we can get them in it is better for the team, the new players can get used to playing with us and vice-versa."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea players allowed 20 minutes to celebrate, says Jose Mourinho after Capital One Cup victory
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Liverpool vs Manchester City match report: Stunners from Philippe Coutinho and Jordan Henderson sink Manuel Pellegrini's side
Arsenal 2 Everton 0 player ratings: Who scored highest at the Emirates?
Eden Hazard didn't like the champagne on offer in the Chelsea dressing room
- 1 End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
- 2 This restaurant has misunderstood the concept of 'cheese and biscuits'
- 3 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty
- 4 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 5 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut