Martinez issues red-card call
Saturday 14 January 2012
The Wigan Athletic manager, Roberto Martinez, has entered the row over Vincent Kompany's controversial dismissal last week by insisting every two-footed tackle should lead to a red card.
Manchester City will have Kompany suspended for their visit to Wigan on Monday after he lost an appeal against a four-match ban imposed after his red card in the Manchester derby FA Cup defeat. Martinez said referees need to take the same approach to all such challenges.
He said: "Two-footed challenges should be red cards, that should be the end of the debate. If you are player and go into a challenge with both feet that should be a red card."
Latest in Sport
A tight game could be in prospect here. Northampton have been keeping things very tight of late and ...
by Gareth Purnell
18 May 2013 02:01 AM
I can’t ever watch games of football or rugby without wistfully wondering what it must be like to be...
by Martin Ayres
16 May 2013 05:10 PM
Since PSG’s exit to Barcelona in the Uefa Champions League quarter-final in April, PSG have been sur...
by Matthew Riding
15 May 2013 02:37 PM
- 1 Stoke City investigate 'religious abuse' after 'pig's head is found in Kenwyne Jones' locker'
- 2 Gove’s lesson: spare the comma, spoil the child
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.