Newcastle manager Alan Pardew admits boiling over in heat of battle

'I am going to war and I want my team to win,' says Magpies boss

Alan Pardew, the Newcastle manager, has hit back at former referee Graham Poll's criticism of him following his touchline bust-up with Manuel Pellegrini.

The 52-year-old Pardew found himself in the headlines for the wrong reasons last weekend after his four-letter rant at the Manchester City manager in the wake of Cheick Tioté's controversially disallowed equaliser.

In his newspaper column Poll agreed that Tioté's goal should not have been ruled out by referee Mike Jones but described Pardew as a "Jekyll and Hyde" character, who can be charming away from the pitch but combustible on the touchline.

Pardew said: "When you sit up there and you have got a cappuccino in front of you and it's a nice afternoon, you can all make wise comments. As we all know, when the heat of the battle is on, whether it's tennis, football, American football, we are winners. That's what we are paid to do and sometimes in doing that you make a bad tackle, you say the wrong thing, you make a bad judgement – it happens.

"I am on the sideline and make no bones about it, I am going to war and I want to win. Tactically, physically, mentally, I am there to win. I'm not there to fight anybody, but I want my team to win and want to see what I think is justice on the pitch, and when you don't see that it can affect you. Most weeks, I can be very, very calm on the sideline. Sometimes it just doesn't work that way."

Pardew apologised for his outburst immediately after Sunday's game and remained contrite ahead of the trip to West Ham for his behaviour – which has already earned him an FA warning though not a charge.

He said: "I am not proud of the comment I made and I am going to punish myself. There are a couple of things I can do that I think will help boys' clubs in the area and stuff like that that have been on the back-burner, so I will accelerate them and make sure I look after my local community here."

Pardew also revealed that the defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa had written to City midfielder Samir Nasri to express his regret at the injury his challenge caused in last week's game. Nasri will be out for up to eight weeks after partially rupturing ligaments in his knee.