Pedersen tops Bolton's winter sale

Click to follow
The Independent Online

The Bolton Wanderers manager, Sam Allardyce, said that a lack of loan options in the transfer market has forced him to transfer-list a number of his best players and sell before he buys.

The Bolton Wanderers manager, Sam Allardyce, said that a lack of loan options in the transfer market has forced him to transfer-list a number of his best players and sell before he buys.

The striker Henrik Pedersen surprisingly heads a list of seven players up for sale which also includes Fernando Hierro, Julio Cesar, Florent Laville, Anthony Barness, Blessing Kaku and Kevin Poole.

Pedersen, with nine goals to his credit this season including a match-winning double that knocked Ipswich out of the FA Cup third-round on Saturday, has already expressed his disappointment at being made available. Allardyce, though, concedes he needs money after failing in his efforts to bring in the short-term signings that have often proved so beneficial in Wanderers' past.

Allardyce has been a canny operator in the January transfer window, pulling off coups with the capture of Youri Djorkaeff and Fredi Bobic. But he feels the market has changed and he has to go down a different route, revealing: "I have to do it because we need to raise some cash. If we are to bring anybody in during the transfer window then the only way we can do that is on a permanent basis.

"There are no longer the opportunities available that we have gained from in the last few years, like Youri or Fredi. What little there is is being competed for by many clubs throughout Europe and the Premiership, and we are not at the top.

"That means it is unlikely we will get them, so if we are to do anything it has to be on a permanent basis."

Allardyce has already missed out on Dmitri Bulykin, as he only wanted the Dynamo Moscow striker until the end of the season, while another target, Stéphane Henchoz, could also fall by the wayside.

"We did all our work prior to January and found the players we wanted to target on a short-term basis, but none of those have come off and it looks like they are going to go to other clubs," Allardyce said. "The only option now is a permanent deal, moving into the transfer market and buying somebody, or taking somebody's contract over for a longer period of time than just from now until the end of the season and getting on with it."

One player heading towards the Reebok Stadium, however, could be the Portsmouth midfielder Amdy Faye. The 27-year-old was close to signing for Aston Villa last week, but the deal collapsed when the Villa manager, David O'Leary, withdrew his interest.

Before signing for Portsmouth at the start of last season the Senegal international Faye almost joined Fulham but failed a medical, although his agent insists that the latest deal collapsed because O'Leary decided to pursue other players.

Faye's agent, Willie McKay, believes that the Portsmouth manager, Velimir Zajec, has a player lined up to replace the holding midfielder bought by the former manager, Harry Redknapp. But Faye is not looking for a move and will only leave the south coast club if the deal suits him, according to McKay.

Bolton could move for the player if they raise money by selling players during the January transfer window.

"Certainly, Sam Allardyce is very interested, but putting in a bid depends on raising the funds," McKay said. "I've spoken to Bolton, and other clubs, but things are a bit slow at the moment. Obviously, Aston Villa changing their mind has changed the situation. But I can assure you that the medical was passed by Amdy."

Faye was signed by Redknapp from the French club Auxerre for £1.5m. He has struggled with fitness but impressed when available. Since Redknapp's departure - and subsequent move to south coast rivals Southampton - a number of players have been linked with a move from the club.

McKay insists his player is happy at Fratton Park, but could still move as Zajec brings his own signings to the club.

"He would not be disappointed to leave Portsmouth if the right offer comes along. He'll go if they are the right personal terms," McKay added. "But that does not mean he wants to leave.

"I think Portsmouth have a player in mind already in that position. That's why I was called."

Middlesbrough have also been linked with Faye, who have Gaizka Mendieta out for the season with a knee ligament injury and George Boateng out for two months with a broken toe.

The Portsmouth midfielder Steve Stone will have a scan this week on his injured hamstring. The 33-year-old came on as a substitute in the FA Cup victory against Gillingham at the weekend and is hoping to be fit for the Premiership game against Blackburn on Saturday.

"At the moment the injury is causing discomfort and he will have a scan later in the week," a club spokesman said.

Zajec is without the full-back Andy Griffin (hamstring) for the foreseeable future but the striker Lomana LuaLua (ear infection) could return for the Fratton Park match with Rovers.

"We're keeping our fingers crossed that he will be given the all-clear following a nasty ear infection that required surgery," the spokesman added.

Comments