Premier League announce record season ticket sales
Junior tickets sales in particular saw a marked rise
Tuesday 10 September 2013
The Premier League has reported record adult and junior season ticket sales for 2012-13.
Total adult sales across the 20 top-flight clubs last term were 476,776, beating the previous best of 476,267 from the 2007-08 campaign.
The figure represents a seven per cent increase on 2004/05, the first season the Premier League started compiling season ticket data.
However, league officials were even more delighted with the impressive junior season ticket sales.
An overall sale of 58,546 represents a massive 26 per cent increase from 2004-05, achieved as a result of major new initiatives aimed at attracting more fans to games.
Some of the moves highlighted by the Premier League include:
- Everton reporting a 39 per cent surge in season ticket sales for Under-16s after introducing a £95 season ticket for Under 11s and a £149 ticket for those aged 12-16.
- Newcastle United claim to have Europe's largest family enclosure area of almost 8,200 for 2013-14, with a combined adult and child season ticket available for £483.
- Aston Villa offering family season tickets for two adults and two children, with prices starting at £650 for families with children under-8 and £695 for those under-16.
- Arsenal launching the 'Young Guns' Enclosure for supporters aged 12 to 16 with access to 1,000 tickets to every weekend category B and C Premier League match for a fixed price of £10.
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has called on all clubs to come up with some kind of fan initiative, which also includes Stoke offering free travel to away games.
"Making football more attractive and more affordable for families is something clubs have worked hard at over the last few years," said Cathy Long, the Premier League's head of supporter services.
"Football is increasingly a family affair - 29 per cent of fans attend with children, and the clubs are doing a better job in making football more accessible to them.
"In 2009, 76% of parents thought clubs catered well for their need, but that had increased to 87 per cent last season."
Season Total Sales Total Junior Sales
2012/13 476,776 58,546
2011/12 457,151 56,024
2010/11 461,334 58,106
2009/10 455,617 57,097
2008/09 475,128 58,313
2007/08 476,267 56,235
2006/07 450,998 52,494
2005/06 448,655 49,101
2004/05 445,281 46,325
Latest in Sport
Anthony Martial: 'It's normal Wayne Rooney doesn't know who I am..and it's up to me to justify €80m price tag'
Manchester United can learn lessons from the transfer template of rivals Manchester City
Pavement The Forum, London
Arsene Wenger uses Anthony Martial's €80m move to Manchester United to defend Arsenal's transfer inactivity this summer
Louis van Gaal labelled a 'scoundrel' over Javier Hernandez penalty reaction during Manchester United win
- 1 Huawei Mate S and Huawei Watch: new products take on iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch
- 2 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 5 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up