Premier League: Arsenal v Wigan match preview
A look ahead to tonight's Premier League fixture at the Emirates Stadium
Tuesday 14 May 2013
Wigan will travel to the Emirates Stadium this evening knowing anything other than a win will all but consign them to relegation from the Premier League.
Roberto Martinez’s men will still be on a high after their historic FA Cup victory over Manchester City on Saturday but now must direct all attentions to their crucial Premier League clash as they hope to close the four-point gap on the sides above and avoid dropping down to the Championship.
Their hosts, who will look for three points to boost their chances of Champion’s League qualification, are the league’s in-form outfit having not lost in their last eight fixtures. They will be without Olivier Giroud, though, who serves the final game of his three-match suspension.
KICK-OFF: Tuesday, 19:45pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Wigan 0, Arsenal 1 (Arteta, pen), Premier League, December 2012
Arsenal 1 (Vermaelen), Wigan 2 (Di Santo, Gomez), Premier League, April 2012
Wigan 0, Arsenal 4 (Arteta, Vermaelen, Gervinho, Van Persie), Premier League, December 2011
- Wigan have lost nine of their 10 previous league and cup visits to Arsenal.
- Arsenal last completed the domestic double over Wigan in 2008-09.
- Arsenal have won all five fixtures against the Premier League’s bottom three clubs so far this season.
- Wigan have failed to win in their last 12 league matches that have been played on a Tuesday night since a 3-2 home victory over Aston Villa in April, 2006.
- The Emirates have been host to 65 goals this season – more than any other stadium.
- Wigan’s Emmerson Boyce is set to make his 500 career appearance.
Arsenal to win: 1.4
Wigan to win: 8.4
TV: Live on Sky Sports 1 at 7:45pm
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food