Real target Carvalho in Van Nistelrooy swap deal
Monday 14 December 2009
Real Madrid are preparing to launch a January transfer bid for Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho.
Reports today suggest the La Liga outfit have targeted the Portugal international following a serious injury to defender Pepe, who will be sidelined for six-months.
To convince Chelsea to part with the 31-year-old defender it's claimed that Ruud van Nistelrooy will be offered in part-exchange.
With Didier Drogba set to join up with Ivory Coast for the Africa Cup of Nations in January, van Nistelrooy could provide some much needed cover.
The Dutchman has also made clear his willingness to return to the Premier League as he looks to secure a place at the World Cup.
Carvalho reportedly came close to leaving in the summer and is understood to be happy to move on from Stamford Bridge.
Latest in Sport
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show