Real target Carvalho in Van Nistelrooy swap deal
Monday 14 December 2009
Real Madrid are preparing to launch a January transfer bid for Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho.
Reports today suggest the La Liga outfit have targeted the Portugal international following a serious injury to defender Pepe, who will be sidelined for six-months.
To convince Chelsea to part with the 31-year-old defender it's claimed that Ruud van Nistelrooy will be offered in part-exchange.
With Didier Drogba set to join up with Ivory Coast for the Africa Cup of Nations in January, van Nistelrooy could provide some much needed cover.
The Dutchman has also made clear his willingness to return to the Premier League as he looks to secure a place at the World Cup.
Carvalho reportedly came close to leaving in the summer and is understood to be happy to move on from Stamford Bridge.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail