Roberto Di Matteo relaxed on David Luiz move as £7m defender signs
Saturday 25 August 2012
Roberto Di Matteo insisted yesterday that he is confident that Chelsea are capable of keeping David Luiz out of Barcelona's clutches.
Whether Luiz stays or goes, the Chelsea manager was last night close to taking his extravagant summer spending past the £80m mark. Chelsea yesterday confirmed the signing of Cesar Azpilicueta, Marseilles' Spanish right-back, for £7m, and Victor Moses was also on the verge of becoming the latest attacking option to join the Stamford Bridge revolution after undergoing a medical ahead of his £9m move from Wigan.
Just as important to Di Matteo is retaining the key players he already has and the manager believes holding on to Brazilian defender Luiz will not be a problem despite Barcelona's interest in the £30m-rated defender.
Chelsea's rivals Arsenal, in particular, are familiar with Barcelona's persistence when they set their sights on a target, having sold seven players to the Catalans since 2000.
But Di Matteo said: "Personally I don't [have a headache with Barcelona]. I am not sure about Arsenal – probably you would have to ask Arsene Wenger about that.
"Chelsea can withstand Barcelona. It [their relentless pursuit of players in the past] doesn't concern me.
"This club has been very, very successful in the past and I don't see why any player should want to leave us to go anywhere else at the moment.
"We always compete for trophies, it's a very ambitious club with an ambitious owner.
"We've had no approaches and he is not for sale at any price."
On Spanish Under-23 defender Azpilicueta, 22, Di Matteo said: "He's a young player from Marseilles, Spanish, come through the ranks with the youth level with the Spanish team, who will give us cover at right back. With Paulo Ferreira and Branislav Ivanovic, that gives us more options for the future."
Di Matteo was also delighted to have made a breakthrough in his long-running pursuit of Nigeria winger Moses, 21, after finally persuading Wigan to sell with his fifth bid.
He said: "Roberto Martinez did a wonderful job with this player when he signed him. He has really developed him.
"He had a very good season last year and hopefully we can progress his development and he can help us with his ability.
"He can play on either wing and gives the team width. He has got great dribbling ability and good pace and is a powerful player."
Di Matteo added: "I'm happy with the way the squad is now. If you look at the profile of the players that come in you are looking at players who will be here for the next four or five years."
Latest in Sport
Arsenal are so close to winning the Premier League, but sometimes Arsene Wenger holds them back, says Jamie Carragher
Arsenal transfer news: Tomas Rosicky and Mathieu Flamini set for showdown summer talks over future
David Beckham reveals secret of his success: I 'stayed in to watch Match of the Day' rather than go out with friends on a Saturday night
Real Madrid vs Juventus preview: Juventus know they must attack to match past European glory
Two new members of Floyd Mayweather's The Money Team blag their way into entourage to celebrate to celebrate with Justin Bieber
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show