Roberto Mancini: I have no problem with Touré
Tuesday 06 December 2011
Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is prepared to overlook controversial comments attributed to defender Kolo Touré over team selection.
The Ivory Coast international, a fringe player this season, has been quoted in a French magazine claiming he feels he is being victimised for participating in the African Nations Cup (ANC) two years ago.
However, Touré has told Mancini he did not make those comments and the Italian today said he accepts that and will not delve deeper.
Mancini, speaking at a press conference to preview tomorrow's Champions League clash with Bayern Munich, said: "I spoke about this with Kolo yesterday. He told me he didn't say anything about this.
"Kolo and I do not have any problem. He explained this to me and for me it is finished. It is okay now."
When asked if he believed Touré, Mancini said: "Yes I did, I believe him.
"I did not read the article so I don't know what Kolo said, I can say only yesterday at training he told me about this interview.
"I don't know what he said or didn't say."
Touré, who joined City in a £16million deal from Arsenal in 2009 and captained the club prior to last season, has fallen down the pecking order at the Etihad Stadium.
The 30-year-old missed the start of the current campaign as he completed a six-month suspension for testing positive for a banned substance and has since found Vincent Kompany and Joleon Lescott difficult to dislodge.
However, this controversy comes after he started the club's last two matches, against Arsenal in the Carling Cup last week and in Saturday's Barclays Premier League defeat of Norwich.
Touré was quoted by So Foot as saying: "It's going to get more and more difficult for us, the Africans. To compete in the ANC, it's catastrophic these days.
"Coaches no longer want to sign players because of it. I am convinced that, if I am not playing, it's not only for football reasons."
Touré's lack of first-team action - he has appeared just eight times this season - has led to speculation he could leave the club in the January transfer window.
Paris Saint-Germain have been linked with the defender - who is again likely to be involved in African Nations Cup action next month - but Mancini insists he has no intention of letting him go.
Mancini added: "In this moment, no. Kolo is part of our plans for this year.
"Kolo is a good player, a good guy and if he plays or not - because we have a lot of good players - he is part of our plans.
"Kolo is important for us because he is experienced. In the summer he told me he wants to leave because he wants to play.
"I have respect for him and we can talk about this, but not now."
Latest in Sport
WrestleMania 31: What time does it start? Full match card and preview ahead of WWE event
Cricket World Cup 2015: Has the success of the tournament spelt the end for Test matches?
Gareth Bale to Chelsea: Real Madrid to be 'tempted by £75m offer' this summer
Manchester United transfer news: Chris Smalling and Phil Jones face uncertain future with contract renewal talks on hold
Malaysia Grand Prix 2015 LIVE: Sebastian Vettel wins in just his second race with Ferrari with Lewis Hamilton second and Nico Rosberg third
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Is this bridge haunted by the ghost of nu rave?
- 3 Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers