Roberto Mancini maintains silence over Carlos Tevez
Friday 28 October 2011
Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini again would not answer questions on the ongoing situation involving striker Carlos Tevez this morning.
Mancini, who has not spoken significantly on the matter since accusing Tevez of refusing to play at Bayern Munich on September 27, addressed the media this morning to preview tomorrow's game against Wolves.
But, as has become customary at City in recent weeks, Mancini's press conference was preceded by a warning to reporters from a club official that the subject was off the agenda.
City consider the matter closed in that they have found Tevez guilty of misconduct and issued a fine, but they anticipate an appeal from the player.
Press Association Sport also understands Tevez is considering suing Mancini for defamation of character over the matter and the Italian is remaining guarded at such a delicate stage.
City concluded after a lengthy investigation that Tevez had committed five breaches of contract in relation to his conduct on the bench for the Champions League game at the Allianz Arena.
One of those included a refusal to play following claims from Mancini immediately after the match that the Argentinian did not want to come on as a second-half substitute.
Tevez, however, has contended throughout that he only refused to warm up and blamed a misunderstanding for the fiasco.
The Professional Footballers' Association have backed the 27-year-old's stance and refused to sanction a fine above the maximum two weeks' wages the club are permitted to impose without their ratification.
City had intended to fine Tevez four weeks' wages - thought to be around £800,000 - but have now halved that following the PFA's intervention.
The PFA have also said the reasons given for Tevez's guilty verdict - published on the club's website on Tuesday - do not relate to a charge read at the player's disciplinary hearing of failing to resume warming up.
A statement read: "The PFA's opinion, based on all the evidence presented, is that Carlos Tevez never refused to play for the club.
"This is accepted by the club in that the charge against Carlos made at the hearing was not one of refusing to play."
City, however, are understood to remain unmoved in their assertion that Tevez refused to play.
Mancini, however, did confirm this morning that defender Kolo Toure will face an internal disciplinary hearing next week over his failed drugs test.
The Ivory Coast international served a six-month suspension after testing positive for a banned substance earlier this year.
Unlike Tevez, who has been training apart from the first team and not featured in Mancini's plans amid the furore, Toure will remain in contention for selection.
Mancini said: "I think Kolo is a different situation. It was a mistake - a totally different situation.
"In the other case I think that every player should have good behaviour, always."
When asked whether Toure was facing a disciplinary hearing, Mancini said: "I think so, yes."
City are understood to resent any suggestions there is anything sinister in the timing of the hearing.
Much of Toure's ban, which expired last month, was served during the summer and the player was not even allowed back on club premises at the start of the season.
Although the 30-year-old has been free to play again since September 2, it has taken time for legal teams to find an appropriate date.
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
news Opponents claim it would stop performers such as Beyonce and Madonna appearing on TV
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
Latest in Sport
Mesut Ozil reveals he really is the Superman at Arsenal, Jack Wilshere is Batman and don't make Lukas Podolski angry - it's the Arsenal Christmas Party
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
Missing out on Tottenham job was a 'close shave', says Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers
The most underrated players in the Premier League
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 North Koreans are gasping for the truth: Let's give it to them
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend