Roberto Martinez should let Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini go, says David Moyes
Everton criticised United’s £28m joint bid for duo as 'derisory and insulting'
Saturday 24 August 2013
David Moyes has responded to criticism of Manchester United’s pursuit of Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini by suggesting that his successor as Everton manager, Roberto Martinez, would be wrong to stand in the way of the pair moving to Old Trafford.
Everton criticised United’s reported £28m joint bid for the duo as being “derisory and insulting” while Martinez described it as a departure from United’s previous way of working. Yet Moyes hit back yesterday by saying that if he were still Everton’s manager, he would not deny the pair the chance to move. “If I had been Everton manager and Sir Alex Ferguson had come asking for Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini I’d have found it very difficult to keep them because I always felt that the right thing was to do what was right for the players,” said Moyes.
“Roberto is in a new job and I am sure he will get to know how Everton work. I signed every player at Everton so I know exactly how Everton work,” added Moyes, hinting at his old board’s policy of selling their best players.
Moyes’s words may raise eyebrows among those who remember his response to Manchester City’s pursuit of Joleon Lescott in August 2009, when he accused City of “disgusting” behaviour and ordered Lescott to train on his own.
Neville Southall, the former Everton goalkeeper, accused Moyes of “despicable behaviour” towards his old club yesterday, suggesting an attempt to unsettle the players. “The way David Moyes has gone about it stinks,” said Southall. “The world knows Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines are worth a lot more than the £28m offered and Moyes is disrespecting Everton.”
However, Moyes claimed the leak had not come from United’s side and stressed he did not want to damage his old club. “The bid was probably from Manchester United’s point of view a private thing and if and when we make a new offer we’ll keep the next offer private and confidential as well.”
Meanwhile, Moyes is considering starting Wayne Rooney against Chelsea on Monday, despite the Londoners’ pursuit of the striker. Rooney has not started a game for United since the 1-1 draw at Arsenal on 28 April, but came off the bench for the final half-hour of last Saturday’s win at Swansea. “Wayne has got a good chance of playing, a good chance of starting,” Moyes said.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester City were so good against Liverpool I felt like turning the television off
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match after suffering muscle injury
Arsenal vs Besiktas player ratings: Alexis Sanchez? Jack Wilshere? Mesut Ozil? Who was the star man at the Emirates Stadium?
Champions League draw: Liverpool meet Real Madrid, but should they fear facing the reigning champions?
William Carvalho to Manchester United: Midfielder on the cards for Louis van Gaal after Arturo Vidal doubts grow
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Joan Rivers: 'Palestinians deserve to be dead'
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Anniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage