Shefki Kuqi completes switch to Newcastle
Thursday 10 February 2011
Newcastle have confirmed the signing of Finland international striker Shefki Kuqi until the end of the season.
The 34-year-old, who was a free agent after his contract with npower Championship Swansea was terminated by mutual consent last month, could go straight into the squad for Saturday's Barclays Premier League trip to Blackburn, one of his former clubs.
He has been drafted in to provide back-up to strikers Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands and Nile Ranger following the £35million departure of Andy Carroll to Liverpool, Xisco's loan move to Deportivo la Coruna and Shola Ameobi's fractured cheekbone.
Manager Alan Pardew said: "We needed another option up front because we are a little light there due to the temporary loss of Shola, and Shefki will provide us with something different.
"He's match-fit and knows the English game well having been in the country for the best part of 10 years. He is ready straight away and that's what we wanted.
"Shefki is a good, honest pro who will give us a strong physical presence from the bench."
Kuqi arrived in England in January 2001 when Stockport signed him from FC Jokerit for £300,000, and he has since played for Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Blackburn, Crystal Palace and Swansea, along with loan spells at Fulham and Derby either side of a spell in Germany with Koblenz.
He is approaching 500 career appearances and 150 goals, many of them marked with his trademark "bellyflop" celebration.
He told Sky Sports News: "I don't really have the words to describe how happy I am. To get this chance is a massive thing for me.
"I am just happy to be here now and I can't wait to start and hopefully try to do the best I can for Newcastle United.
"For me, it is a great opportunity just to be back in the Premier League again. It is something I have tasted before.
"Everybody knows it is the best league in the world and to be part of it and a club the size of Newcastle United, I am really proud. It's an honour to be here."
Kuqi, who will wear the number 42, is seen as a man who will support Pardew's three remaining senior strikers from the bench.
Best and Ranger were withdrawn from international duty this week as they nursed minor injuries in the wake of Saturday's spectacular 4-4 draw with Arsenal.
They and Lovenkrands have been asked to shoulder the burden of scoring the goals to keep the Magpies in the top flight following Carroll's departure.
Ameobi, Best and Lovenkrands have claimed six goals between them in the ensuing six league games, with Newcastle losing just one of them.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food