Southampton v Stoke: Premier League match preview
A look ahead to this weekend's Premier League fixture at St Mary’s Stadium
Sunday 19 May 2013
Michael Owen will be hoping he’s given his first Premier League start for Stoke when they face Southampton on Sunday in what will be his final match before retirement.
The striker joined the Potters in September on a one-year contract but in March announced he would retire at the end of the current campaign. He has made seven appearances from the bench for Stoke but has yet to feature from the start.
With little riding on the game for either side, Tony Pulis may gift Owen the start he desires to cap off a long and successful playing career, albeit one riddled with injuries.
Southampton and Stoke are two of a cluster of sides who can finish anywhere between 10 and 17 – with the opposing pair currently three places but just one point apart in the Premier League standings.
The Saints can breathe easy now that their safety was confirmed following Wigan’s relegation on Tuesday night but will still hope to finish the season with a flourish, capitalising on a low-scoring Stoke outfit who have picked up the fewest points of any side in the division in 2013.
Both sides must also contend with suspensions with Danny Fox and Gaston Ramirez missing for the home side while the Potters will be without Charlie Adam following his sending off against Tottenham last week.
KICK-OFF: Sunday, 4pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Stoke 3 (Jones, Upson, Jerome), Southampton 3 (Lambert, Rodriquez, Wilkinson OG), Premier League, December 2012
Stoke 3 (Powell OG, Shawcross, Sidibe), Southampton 2 (John 2), Championship, February 2008
Southampton 3 (Surman, Rasiak, Viafara), Stoke 2 (Fuller, Parkin), Championship, August 2007
- Southampton have dropped the most points (29) from winning positions in the Premier League this season.
- At 13, Stoke have collected the fewest Premier League points in 2013 so far.
- The Potters have won just two of their last 27 away matches in the Premier League, scoring just 12 away goals this season and only 33 in total – fewer than everyone bar bottom club QPR.
- Stoke have committed the most fouls (478) and been given the most yellow cards (76) in the Premier League this season.
- Rickie Lambert, who has scored 14 league goals this season, has gone six matches without finding the back of the net.
Southampton to win: 1.8
TV: Highlights on BBC1 at 10:25pm.
Latest in Sport
The muddy truth of the Christmas Truce game
Laura Trott and Jason Kenny announce engagement
Manchester United vs Newcastle United preview: Alan Pardew targets rare Old Trafford win to halt Newcastle slump
Arsenal vs QPR: Leroy Fer seeks perfect present for Boxing Day
Jose Mourinho on Sir Alex Ferguson: 'A good friend, a good person, a fantastic sense of humour. I like him very, very much'
- 1 PlayStation and Xbox hacked by Lizard Squad
- 3 The Grace Dent Christmas Questionnaire
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Alex Salmond has 'broken his word to the Scottish people' says Scottish Lib Dem leader