Sydney FC vs Newcastle pre-season match report: Emmanuel Riviere scores on Newcastle debut
Sydney FC 0 Newcastle 4
Tuesday 22 July 2014
Emmanuel Riviere marked his debut with a goal as Newcastle cruised to a 4-0 victory over Sydney FC in Dunedin.
The striker, a £5m summer signing from Monaco, needed just 26 minutes to open his account with the Magpies taking the game by the scruff of the neck.
Before kick-off, manager Alan Pardew and captain Fabricio Coloccini laid wreaths on the seats which would have been occupied by fans John Alder and Liam Sweeney who died in the Malaysia Airlines crash last week while en route to New Zealand.
The Magpies scored three times in the space of 14 first-half minutes as Siem de Jong took full advantage of goalkeeper Ivan Necevski's 19th-minute error before Riviere and then defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa struck.
Newcastle keeper Rob Elliot had only one save to make to deny Corey Gameiro after the break, and substitute Adam Armstrong rounded off the scoring seven minutes from time.
Latest in Sport
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God