Tottenham midfielder Tom Huddlestone faces further surgery
Wednesday 15 February 2012
Tottenham midfielder Tom Huddlestone expects to miss the rest of the season after undergoing further surgery on his ankle problem later this week.
Spurs insisted this morning that the 25-year-old's rehabilitation from the ligament damage that has kept him sidelined since August was progressing as expected.
"Tom will undergo a second stage of surgery on Friday to further his recovery following ankle surgery at the end of last year," read a statement on the club's official website, www.tottenhamhotspur.com.
"The midfielder has progressed well since his initial surgery with the specialist determining that the anticipated reconstruction of a lateral ankle ligament is the next step towards the England international making a return to full fitness."
Huddlestone has been limited to only four appearances this season because of the injury and the north London club have declined to put a date on his comeback.
However, the player revealed on his Twitter account this afternoon that his focus was now on being fully fit for pre-season training.
"Thanks for msgs! My season is over b4 its even started, operation Friday!! Main objective is to make sure I'm 100% for pre season ?" he posted. "thanks for the msgs!! tough times but part and parcel of the job i guess!!"
Meanwhile, the club have handed a trial to Brazil Under-20 captain Bruno Uvini.
A two-month deal has been agreed with his club Sao Paulo, it is understood, though he has yet to arrive in north London.
Reports state Uvini holds an Italian passport and will not require a work permit.
The 20-year-old centre-back led Brazil to victory in the Under-20 World Cup in Colombia last August.
"It's a great opportunity that came up and I couldn't let it pass me," Uvini told Sao Paulo's official website.
"Tottenham are a big club with worldwide exposure and they've asked me to present myself.
"I will grow up a lot in my professional and personal life with this choice."
One player seemingly heading for a temporary move away from White Hart Lane, though, is winger David Bentley.
Major League Soccer is being considered as a destination for the 27-year-old, who has almost recovered from the knee injury that cut short his loan move to West Ham.
"This is something that is really interesting for David as it will also get him fit through the summer," his agent Rob Segal told MLSsoccer.com.
"He would like to go there on loan as soon as possible."
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
voicesJust when you thought you could find a man, get married, and have a baby by the age of 35... it turns out you’re too late, says Grace Dent
sportNapoli 2 Arsenal 0: Gunners must now face either Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona in knock-out stages
musicAs Mariah Carey and Noddy Holder rake in the royalties from their classics, why there hasn't been a decent festive hit for 20 years?
theatreAuthor Daniel Rosenthal recalls the mishaps that almost brought the curtain down on the likes of John Gielgud and Diana Rigg
filmFilm producers sue Warner Bros for $75m over Hobbit films
lifeAs the Royal Mail plans to phase out deliveries on two wheels, it's no wonder posties are in a spin
musicThe 21-year-old beat Ella Eyre and Chlöe Howl to win the honour
lifeFull of the joys and want to help your fellow man? December isn't the time to do it
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
Latest in Sport
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial