Tottenham rubbish reports of £32m Gareth Bale deal being agreed with Barcelona
Friday 11 May 2012
Harry Redknapp has dismissed a report claiming Tottenham have agreed a fee with Barcelona for the sale of star winger Gareth Bale.
Spanish newspaper Marca this morning suggested that Spurs had sanctioned Bale's departure to the current European champions for a fee of 40 million euros.
Bale admitted last month that he would not be able to turn down a move to the Catalan giants and Barca defender Dani Alves said in a recent interview that the Welshman would fit in well at the Nou Camp.
Redknapp insists the 22-year-old is not leaving White Hart Lane this summer, however.
The Spurs boss told a press conference this morning: "I don't know anything about [the story linking Bale with Barcelona].
"I wouldn't think there is the slightest bit of truth in that. Not a chance, I wouldn't have thought."
Bale shot to prominence with a series of stunning displays in the Champions League last season and has caught the eye again for Spurs this term.
Tottenham's chances of hanging on to Bale are likely to be reduced if they fail to qualify for next season's Champions League.
The Londoners currently occupy fourth place in the Barclays Premier League but even if they finish the season there, they will miss out on Europe's top club competition if Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in the final of this year's competition next week.
Redknapp, who fought off interest from Chelsea to keep Luka Modric at Spurs last summer, insists the club will not lose their best players if they do not qualify for the tournament.
"That idea gets a bit over-hyped," said the 65-year-old, whose team host Fulham on Sunday in the last game of the season.
"When Gareth came to Tottenham, they weren't in the Champions League. When Luka Modric came here, they were nowhere near.
"He didn't come here because they were in the Champions League, he came here because they were a good club, on decent money and had a chance to play in the Premier League.
"Are you telling me people aren't going to sign for Chelsea next year if they don't win the Champions League this year because they won't make it next year? Of course they'll sign for Chelsea, if they are paid the right money and get the right contract, they are going to a fantastic club in London.
"They will still go to Chelsea. They will go to Liverpool because it is a great club and they will still come to Tottenham because it's a great club."
Latest in Sport
Brighton vs Arsenal: FA Cup match preview
Cristiano Ronaldo vine: Real Madrid forward sent-off for kicking and striking opponent during 2-1 win over Cordoba
What time is the 2015 WWE Royal Rumble on? TV details and full card
Sam Burgess: Bath and England's next big thing
Tennis fan suing Australian Open organisers for 'failing to shade spectators' during Murray match
- 1 Rowan Atkinson to sell £10 million McLaren 'supercar' he crashed into a tree and a lamppost
- 2 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 3 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd