Transfer news: David Moyes concedes he is struggling to make signings at Manchester United - but remains hopeful of new arrivals

The champions continue to be linked with Cesc Fabregas, Maroune Fellaini and Real Madrid pair Luka Modric and Mesut Ozil

David Moyes insisted last night that he is still confident of bringing players to Manchester United this summer, with just over two weeks left of the transfer window.

Moyes has endured a frustrating first summer in charge at Old Trafford, having failed so far to sign Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas. There is also interest in Everton’s Maroune Fellaini as well as Real Madrid pair Luka Modric and Mesut Ozil and Moyes believes there will still be high-profile additions before the window shuts at the end of the month.

“I am confident we will have players in,” Moyes said on Thursday. “Things are moving along in the right direction.”

The new manager did say, though, that this transfer window might be harder than ones in future, as he adjusts to life at the helm of one of the world’s biggest football clubs.

“Everybody wants things done quickly but you have to remember, I got the job on July 1. I have had five or six weeks now and three of them are on tour. Obviously we keep working towards getting things. But this could be a difficult window for me because the level I have been shopping in in the past is not the level Manchester United have been shopping in. That has to come into consideration.

“I want to assess all the players, see them all and give myself the chance to have a look and see what we need.”

Moyes’ start as Manchester United manager is difficult – with a trip to Swansea City tomorrow evening before league games against Chelsea, Liverpool, Crystal Palace and Manchester City. Moyes publicly questioned whether the draw was done fairly, suggesting that United might have been given a particularly difficult draw.

"I hope it's not because Manchester United won the league quite comfortably last year (that) the fixtures have been made much more difficult,” Moyes said. “I find it hard to believe that's the way the balls came out of the bag, that's for sure."

Moyes’ predecessor, Sir Alex Ferguson, was known to raise this sort of concern and Moyes said that Ferguson had warned him about this issue. “The old manager told those sort of things happened.

“But if it is a hard start for Manchester United, it is a hard start for everyone else because they have to play us.”

In response, the Premier League said that they had “absolutely assured” Moyes that the fixture computer process was “random and above board”.

The other issue hanging over United this summer is Wayne Rooney, who is seeking a move but who is officially not for sale. He has not been involved for United in pre-season but did play for England against Scotland on Wednesday night. Moyes last night could not say whether Rooney would be involved against Swansea.

“I couldn’t tell you right now. He has had no match practice so I will assess it when I get back and see how he is. I will be back this afternoon and will see how he is after the game.”

Comments