United pour cold water on talk of £62.5m bid for Ribéry
Wednesday 06 May 2009
Manchester United have distanced themselves from reports of a £62.5m bid for Bayern Munich's France international Franck Ribéry.
Reports yesterday morning had claimed an approach has been received from United for Ribéry, who looks certain to leave the Allianz Arena this summer after a disappointing campaign at Bayern which included a Champions League hammering by Barcelona and the dismissal of coach Jürgen Klinsmann last month.
Ribéry cannot see the situation improving and has indicated if Bayern fail to qualify for next season's Champions League he would go, and may leave anyway. It was thought the 26-year-old would be heading to Italy or Spain. However, Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, knows Ribéry would be a perfect replacement for Cristiano Ronaldo should the World Player of the Year quit Old Trafford for Real Madrid this summer.
Given the consistent nature of Ferguson's reaction to such a prospect, at one point last year declaring, "I would not sell them [Madrid] a virus", it is hardly a surprise that United's response to the latest Ribéry reports were to dismiss them as not worthy of comment.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 3 Antonio Martin shooting: Mayor says there should be 'no comparison' to Ferguson
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever