Wigan ban handful of fans after flares set off against Bolton
Thursday 16 February 2012
Wigan have banned more than a dozen fans as a result of incidents during last weekend's derby victory at Bolton.
A number of flares were set off in the Latics end at the Reebok Stadium and the club have responded by writing to 17 spectators, predominantly aged between 15 and 22, to inform them they are no longer welcome to attend matches.
"We were extremely disappointed by the behaviour of a small minority of spectators who tarnished what was a fantastic day for the club," Wigan chief executive Jonathan Jackson said in a statement.
"We have worked closely with Greater Manchester Police who will be issuing official football banning orders on the majority of those arrested during the game.
"We wish to protect the image of Wigan Athletic as a family club and do not welcome those who seek to make trouble and endanger the safety of our supporters."
The club, keen to maintain their record of good behaviour, say prior to Saturday's game only three Wigan fans had been arrested this season.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Pro-Russian rebel 'admits to shooting down plane'
- 3 Israel-Gaza conflict: The myth of Hamas’s human shields
- 5 Dutch paedophile club to fight their ban at the European Court of Human Rights
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Vladimir Putin is given 'one last chance' to end hostilities in Ukraine
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
The truth about conspiracy theories is that some require considering
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains