Wigan prepared to let Roberto Martinez leave
Tuesday 15 May 2012
Wigan chairman Dave Whelan would like manager Roberto Martinez to remain at the club, but is prepared to allow him to leave should an offer be made this summer.
Martinez's reputation has been enhanced over recent weeks owing to Wigan's stunning end to the season with Athletic, basement dwellers in February, comfortably avoiding the drop courtesy of a run of seven victories from their last nine games.
As a result, the 38-year-old Spaniard has been installed as the favourite for the vacant Aston Villa job - a role he turned down last summer - while he has also been linked with a summer move to Liverpool.
And, although Whelan believes Martinez - with whom he has a 20-year association - will eventually leave the DW Stadium, he has not heard anything to suggest that will be happening any time soon.
"I have spoken to Roberto about the interest that is obviously in him from straight away one club, and Aston Villa were interested in him last year," he told Sky Sports News.
"We haven't received any notification at all that Aston Villa want to talk to him for this particular job, so there's nothing we can add on that.
"Roberto and I have a complete understanding where we trust each other implicitly. If anything comes up, Roberto will see me and I will be the first to know."
Whelan has long predicted that Martinez will end up managing one of the game's elite, but is not worried about being caught off guard should the former Latics captain decide to move on.
He added: "It makes me feel very satisfied and confident that Roberto is a very honest person and if anybody approaches him he will tell me because, if he feels the club is right and I feel the club is right, I will back him to the hilt.
"He's just one honest gentleman and that's very rare in football.
"I am not aware of any approach from Aston Villa or any other club at present, but if an approach comes, Roberto will inform me.
"He's a very quick learner and he's going to go to one top club, that's for sure, and I will back him when that time comes.
"I would like to keep Roberto full stop at Wigan, but that won't be possible because of the interest in him and how he's revolutionised Wigan again this year."
As things stand, though, Whelan expects to start next season with Martinez in charge.
"At this particular time, definitely, yes," he said.
Latest in Sport
Phil Jagielka: I may never win back England place, says Everton defender
Mario Balotelli: Staff at arson-hit Manchester Dogs' Home convinced Liverpool striker is behind five-figure donation
Rio Ferdinand mocks Jamie Carragher's Liverpudlian accent... but Liverpool man hits back at Londoner
Colombian women's cycling team kit that makes wearer appear naked is branded 'unacceptable' by UCI president
Comment: Alan Pardew is just a stooge for Mike Ashley who runs Newcastle like his shops – cheap foreign imports and a tame manager
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God