Wigan winger Callum McManaman will miss European Under-21 Championship after being ruled out for three months
The Latics midfielder has enjoyed a strong end to the season
Friday 17 May 2013
Callum McManaman will miss the European Under-21 Championships this summer after Wigan boss Roberto Martinez confirmed the forward is likely to be out for three months with an ankle injury.
McManaman was the star of the Latics' FA Cup triumph last Saturday and was rewarded for his excellent form over the last few months of the season with a first call-up to Stuart Pearce's England squad for the tournament in Israel next month.
But the 22-year-old damaged ankle ligaments in Tuesday's 4-1 defeat by Arsenal, which condemned the Latics to relegation, and, although he will not need an operation, he is now in a race against time to be fit for the start of next season.
More to follow...
Latest in Sport
Tony Bellew vs Nathan Cleverly 2 report: Bellew takes his revenge with points win over Cleverly
F1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2014 live: Lewis Hamilton heads towards second championship as Nico Rosberg has major engine troubles
England vs Samoa match report: England finally end losing streak as Jonny May stars in win ahead of Wallabies showdown
Arsenal vs Manchester United report: Wayne Rooney and a Kieran Gibbs own goal make Gunners rue missed chances
Arsenal vs Manchester United player ratings: Who was the star man? Wayne Rooney or David De Gea?
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
- 3 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Rochester aftermath: Sacking of Emily Thornberry will make work of Labour MPs '10 times harder'