Wilshere's Euro hopes fading
Saturday 14 April 2012
Arsene Wenger admits Jack Wilshere's hopes of being available for this summer's Euro 2012 finals are disappearing fast as the player has yet to resume training with the Arsenal first-team squad.
Wenger, the Arsenal manager, had insisted Wilshere must prove his fitness before the end of April to have any chance of being considered for inclusion in the England squad.
"We are now in mid-April, the Euros start in the middle of June," said Wenger. "Jack has not played the whole season [due to an ankle problem]. He is making slow progress so we still have to monitor the situation. I will not take any risks with him. He is still in the gym and running."
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Latest in Sport
Comment: David Moyes paying the price of Manchester United's virtual abstinence from top-level transfers since 2006. Can he refire their ambition?
Arsenal 1 Everton 1 match report: Gerard Deulofeu provides late sucker punch following Mesut Ozil opener
Transfer news: Manchester United will not be forced into panic buys, says David Moyes
Gerard Deulofeu - Why Barcelona chose Everton to educate their latest prodigy
Ashes 2013-14 match report: Another woeful display sees England lose to Australia by 218 runs to go down 2-0
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 Council bans use of word ‘Commie’ – but ‘fascist’ and ‘Nazi’ are fine
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis