Smith closes on tenth Ibrox title
Wednesday 11 May 2011
Rangers moved to within touching distance of the Scottish Premier League title as they marked manager Walter Smith's final game at Ibrox with a 2-0 win over Dundee United last night.
Goals from Nikica Jelavic and Kyle Lafferty sealed the points, with the champions now hoping to wrap up the championship in the last match of the season against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park on Sunday.
Rangers could be celebrating before then if Celtic lose at Hearts tonight and gift the trophy to their bitter rivals. Fans paid tribute to the outgoing manager with a banner: "League champions nine times, Scottish Cup winners five times, League Cup winners six times, thank you Walter Smith."
Latest in Sport
Francis Coquelin: The would-be Zinedine Zidane now making an impression as Arsenal’s Claude Makelele
Arsenal vs Aston Villa: Gunners snub that redefined Tim Sherwood
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
'I think you are an ostrich': The funniest managerial quotes of the 2014/15 Premier League season
Manchester United transfer news: Louis van Gaal turns to Valencia defender Nicolas Otamendi after Mats Hummels delay
- 1 New Zealand 'the best country to work as a prostitute', says sex worker advocacy group
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Mother 'will allow son's circumcision in return for release from prison'
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland