Smith closes on tenth Ibrox title
Wednesday 11 May 2011
Rangers moved to within touching distance of the Scottish Premier League title as they marked manager Walter Smith's final game at Ibrox with a 2-0 win over Dundee United last night.
Goals from Nikica Jelavic and Kyle Lafferty sealed the points, with the champions now hoping to wrap up the championship in the last match of the season against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park on Sunday.
Rangers could be celebrating before then if Celtic lose at Hearts tonight and gift the trophy to their bitter rivals. Fans paid tribute to the outgoing manager with a banner: "League champions nine times, Scottish Cup winners five times, League Cup winners six times, thank you Walter Smith."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'