Arsenal transfer news and rumours: Krystian Bielik 'will not face Manchester City'; Hector Moreno £6m bid plus Mario Suarez latest

The latest transfer news and speculation surrounding the Emirates

Click to follow
The Independent Online

ARSENAL ARRIVALS…

Krystian Bielik is on the verge of completing his £2.5m transfer to Arsenal after the club agreed a fee with Legia Warsaw and the 17-year-old underwent a medical on Friday. Arsene Wenger confirmed the deal was in place to sign the defensive midfielder in his press conference on Friday, although contrary to reports he will not be eligible to play against Manchester City as he wasn’t registered for this weekend’s action before the Friday afternoon deadline. However, Wenger did confirm that he will go into the club’s first-team plans immediately despite his inexperience.

LIVE: Latest transfer news and updates

One striker Arsenal could be in the hunt for is former Barcelona youth player Antonio Sanabria, who is free to join another club after being overlooked by Roma. The 18-year-old joined the Italian side in July after a six-month spell with Sassuolo, but he is yet to make an appearance for Roma and the Daily Express claims he will be allowed to leave this month in a low-cost deal that could suit Wenger, given he has freed up a place in his squad for a forward after allowing Lukas Podolski and Yaya Sanogo to leave the club on loan.

 

The Gunners continue to be linked with Borussia Dortmund forward Marco Reus after the German club’s chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke insisted there was no truth in the rumours claiming a deal to Real Madrid in the summer was already done. Reus is available for £20m due to a release clause in his contract and the expectation is that he will leave the Bundesliga side in the summer given their poor form this season that sees them down in the relegation zone.

But a move for Reus’ Dortmund team-mate Ilkay Gundogan doesn’t appear to be on after Wenger confirmed the Germany international is not what he is currently looking for with his focus being taken up with signing defensive targets after the injury to Mathieu Debuchy ruled him out for three months.

One potential solution to the crisis at the back is Mexico centre-back Hector Moreno, with the Daily Express claiming that reports in Spain have linked the Gunners with a move for the Espanyol star. A bid of £6m is reported to have come from Arsenal, although Moreno is also attracting attention from Premier League rivals Tottenham and Manchester United given his strong showing at the World Cup last year, and the fact that Moreno has worked under the guidance of Louis van Gaal and Mauricio Pochettino at AZ Alkmaar and Espanyol respectively immediately puts Wenger at a disadvantage.

Hector-Moreno.jpg
Hector Moreno in World Cup action for Mexico

But Moreno does appear to be on his way out of the Spanish club after his agent, Eduardo Hernandez, said: “Moreno is leaving Espanyol. He wants to leave and we're looking for another team in Europe.”

MISSING OUT…

The Daily Express reports that Real Madrid defender Alvaro Arbeloa would prefer to join Chelsea if he is to make a Premier League return after being linked with the Blues as well as former club Liverpool and Arsenal. Arbeloa is said to be keen on a change of scenery having joined Real in 2009 from the Reds, and he has maintained a good relationship with Jose Mourinho since the Portuguese’s days as Real manager. Carlo Ancelotti’s preference to start Dani Carvajal for Real’s biggest games looks set to pave the way for a Santiago Bernabeu departure for the Spain international.

Mario-Suarez.jpg
Mario Suarez is wanted by the Gunners

Wenger is also reported to be interest in making a move for Atletico Madrid’s in-demand midfielder Mario Suarez, but the Spanish club could be about the offer the Spaniard to Inter Milan as part of a bid to sign Mauro Icardi this month. Both Chelsea and Liverpool have been linked with the Argentinian striker who could be sold by Inter in order to raise funds to comply with Uefa’s Financial Fair Play regulations, and the Premier League duo had hoped to hold off any bidding war until the summer. But Atletico’s interest in pushing through a move this month could see them offer Suarez-plus-cash to land the 21-year-old and deal a blow to the Gunners in the process.

Comments