Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger not interested in Napoli’s Eduardo Vargas - QPR and Sunderland set to pounce
Wenger not interested in signing another Chilean international
Monday 18 August 2014
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is not believed to be interested in taking Napoli forward Eduardo Vargas to the Emirates Stadium this summer, but the Chilean international could yet secure a switch to the Premier League with either Sunderland or Queens Park Rangers.
The FA Cup and Community Shield holders have been linked with a loan move for the Napoli star since the beginning of the transfer window, but Wenger has reportedly cancelled his interest and switched his focus elsewhere.
Reports in Italy, which suggested Vargas was set to travel to London to complete a medical later this week, appear to have been wide off the mark.
The news has alerted Gus Poyet and Harry Redknapp, however, with both managers desperately trying to recruit enough firepower to avoid relegation.
Read more: Sami Khedira set for Chelsea and Arsenal talks?
Redknapp targets Norwich star Leroy Fer
Sunderland fight back on opening day
The two top flight clubs have made contact with the Serie A side in recent days over a potential season-long loan deal, with Redknapp also keen to add an option to buy the player next summer.
Video: Latest transfer talk
Vargas spent the second half of last season on loan with Valencia, where he scored five goals in 25 appearances, before making a name for himself at this summer's World Cup by scoring twice against former champions Spain.
Rangers remain wary of losing Loïc Rémy, after the Frenchman's £8.5m switch to Liverpool fell through, despite the player appearing during the 1-0 opening day defeat to Hull City.
"We need one more striker but if he goes, we’re going to have to find a couple from somewhere, which isn’t easy,” the former Tottenham Hotspur manager said.
Meanwhile, ahead of the Gunners' Champions League qualifier against Beşiktaş, Wenger admitted he is 'desperate' to progress.
"We are desperate to do it because we want to play in the Champions League and we know how big these games are," he said.
"We are desperate to go through. No matter what it costs we want to go through. We always have a difficult draw, we had Fenerbahce last year, this time we have Besiktas, so it is difficult."
Latest in Sport
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: The biggest fight of all time, or maybe just the most lucrative?
What time does Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao start?
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
Sir Alex Ferguson reveals who he thinks is better between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi
Chelsea transfer news: 'Eden Hazard will cost Real Madrid £100m - and a Galactico,' says Jose Mourinho
- 1 Woman 'suffocates newborn baby in plastic bag and puts it in her desk minutes after giving birth'
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 5 Chinese student carries disabled friend to school every day for three years
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove