Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Juventus midfielder deals United a blow as he reveals 'I do not go to Manchester'
Chile's World Cup star has reportedly told Italian reporters that he will not be joining Louis van Gaal's side, but didn't confirm if he'd remain with Juventus this summer
Manchester United look set to miss out on top transfer target Arturo Vidal after reports in Italy claimed the Juventus midfielder ruled out a move to Old Trafford this summer.
Vidal has emerged as Louis van Gaal’s priority signing since his arrival at the Red Devils to replace David Moyes, but despite offering a reported £34m for the Chile international, they have been unable to agree a fee with the Italian league champions.
Reports earlier this week claimed United could make on last attempt to land the 27-year-old with a £36m offer, but according to Italian media outlets Vidal said upon his return to Italy from a holiday: “I do not go to Manchester.”
“Can I say I will remain with Juve? I don’t know.
“I’ll talk to [Massimo] Allegri on Monday and then we will see. I haven’t spoken with Allegri or any of my team-mates yet, but I’m not going to Manchester.”
Vidal is yet to meet with his new manager at the Juventus Stadium after former AC Milan manager Allegri replaced Antonio Conte earlier this month following his shock exit after leading Juventus to three straight Serie A titles.
Italian newspaper Gazetta Dello Sport claim that Juventus are determined not to sell him despite previous claims that one of Vidal or fellow central midfielder Paul Pogba could leave the club in order to fund their summer transfer activity. With United clearly interested in Vidal, a bid of 45m euros (£36m) is thought to be enough to begin talks with the highly-rated midfielder.]
Video: The latest transfer news
Read more: Five things we've learnt about Louis van Gaal
Jones in a hurry to pick up Van Gaal's style
'Beautiful goals and beautiful attacks' begin Van Gaal's reign
However, while the same publication goes on to suggest both Arsenal and Liverpool are keeping an eye on Vidal with a view to jumping ahead of United in the race for his signature, The Independent understands that this is not the case, as both clubs are looking at other transfer targets.
The Reds were reported on Thursday to be readying a £42.5m bid for Vidal in order to blow United out of the water and bring the Chilean to Anfield, but this is not the case and Brendan Rodgers will instead focus on completing the signings of Divock Origi, Loic Remy and Javier Manquillo.
The Gunners are yet to follow their two big signings of Alexis Sanchez and Mathieu Debuchy, but the belief is that Arsene Wenger will continue to strengthen his side before the start of the season.
Whether that involves buying a holding midfielder is unknown, with reports linking the Frenchman with moves for Sami Khedira, Lars Bender and Morgan Schneiderlin. Despite the need for a defensive-minded central figure, Vidal is not believed to be on Wenger’s wish-list.
Latest in Sport
Arsenal vs Monaco match report: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain goal provides little consolation as Berbatov and Monaco stun Gunners
Fabio Cannavaro given jail sentence: World Cup winning captain gets 10-months for swimming in pool
Charlton sex tape: is the #sextratime Vine real or just another publicity stunt?
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
Financial Fair Play under threat: Brussels court case could potentially lead to rules being scrapped
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 5 Muslim women's rights campaigner writes heartfelt letter to girls thinking of joining Isis
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
Ukraine crisis: 'One miscalculation, and Britain faces an existential threat to our whole being...'