Fabio Borini: Liverpool striker says 'I'm VERY happy with myself' after transfer fails to materialise
The Italian striker was strongly linked with Sunderland and QPR
Tuesday 02 September 2014
Liverpool forward Fabio Borini has defended himself against accusations he has wildly unrealistic expectations after turning down two moves during the transfer window.
QPR claimed they were unable to match the 23-year-old's wage demands, with reports suggesting he wanted £90,000-a-week.
That led to criticism of Borini, who will struggle to find a place on the bench at Anfield - never mind get close to the starting line-up - after manager Brendan Rodgers spent £65million on forwards Mario Balotelli, Lazar Markovic and Rickie Lambert.
That sum does not include the £10million invested in Divock Origi, who was immediately loaned back to French club Lille.
However, former Chelsea trainee Borini has hit back.
"Finally the madness is finished!" he wrote on Twitter.
"I protected the MAN and the player that I am today, taking all the responsibility of the situation and for people who didn't want it.
"And I'm VERY happy with myself to have taken such an important decision!"
Fabio Borini celebrates scoring for Sunderland whilst on loan last season
Borini was Rodgers' first signing at Anfield in the summer of 2012, at a cost of £10.5million, having previously worked with him in Chelsea's youth team and during a loan spell at Swansea.
However, injuries have dogged his time on Merseyside and he scored just two goals in his maiden season before moving to Sunderland for the 2013-14 season, where he became something of a favourite on Wearside.
He scored in both games against arch-rivals Newcastle, including a brilliant winner in the Stadium of Light encounter.
The Black Cats had a £14million bid accepted by Liverpool in July but Borini rejected a move and, even with his options limited, he refused the escape route offered by QPR.
While Borini considers what lies ahead for him Rodgers' final summer signing Balotelli will be looking for a long run in the side having made his debut in Sunday's 3-0 win at Tottenham.
Defender Jose Enrique made his comeback in that game after nine months out with injury and he is relishing playing alongside the Italy striker.
"Everyone knows that Mario has all the qualities to be one of the best strikers in the world," he told liverpoolfc.com.
"He knows this is an amazing chance for him at play for Liverpool and I think he's going to do really well.
"During the time he's been with us I've talked with him a lot and inside the dressing room he's been really good.
"Hopefully what we saw on the pitch at Tottenham is what he'll be like all season. He can make a real impact."
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant