Carlton Cole move to Stoke falls through
Friday 15 July 2011
Carlton Cole's transfer from West Ham to Stoke appeared to have fallen through this evening.
The Potters agreed a fee for the 27-year-old striker earlier this week, but the Hammers revealed today Carlton would be staying put.
The exact reason as to why the deal has collapsed is not known, although West Ham released a statement which seemed to suggest the England international was unable to agree personal terms.
It read: "Carlton has not asked for a transfer and has remained committed to the club at all times.
"In being given permission to talk to Stoke, the negotiations did not break down as a result of him asking for too much money. He was discussing wage parity with other key players and was well within his right to do so.
"Further, there is no issue in terms of his reported 'injury problems'. An England striker, he played 43 games last season."
The statement added: "Carlton remains part of the West Ham United first-team squad under Sam Allardyce."
Cole joined West Ham from Chelsea in July 2006 and has scored 42 goals in 165 appearances.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture