The agent of Alvaro Pereira has claimed Chelsea were still in negotiations to sign the left-back from Porto.
The Blues were running out of time this afternoon to reach an agreement with the Portuguese champions for the transfer of Uruguay star Pereira ahead of the 11pm deadline.
Chelsea last week saw a bid rejected for the 25-year-old, who has a £26million release clause and is said to be keen to be reunited with former Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas at Stamford Bridge.
Agent Alejandro Savich told Maisfutebol: "I know that the clubs are talking. This is a positive sign.
"What I know from Chelsea is that they are trying. One can only hope."
Pereira was left out of Porto's squad for Friday's UEFA Super Cup defeat to Barcelona, fuelling speculation about his future.
Savich added: "It's a lie to suggest he has ever refused to play for FC Porto or taken some action. You know that Alvaro always gave everything. He's played more than one hundred games. This cannot be questioned.
"Right now, Alvaro Pereira is waiting while the clubs talk. We have not spoken with Chelsea because I'm not allowed to do so.
"It is essential Porto and Chelsea reach an agreement first."
Chelsea have also been linked with new deadline day bids for Tottenham's Luka Modric and Liverpool's Raul Meireles.
Yossi Benayoun looks certain to leave, while the likes of Florent Malouda, Nicolas Anelka, Salomon Kalou, Alex and even Didier Drogba have also been linked with moves away.
One player already off - on a loan move - is new signing Ulises Davila, who has been sent to Dutch club Vitesse Arnhem for the rest of the season.
Malouda today insisted he would not be following his new team-mate, telling a news conference ahead of France's European Championship qualifier in Albania on Friday: "I've always been clear in my choices. It's going to be very difficult to take me out of my club.
"I've still got two years left on my Chelsea contract. My objective is to extend by one year until the 2014 World Cup.
"That hasn't changed and it won't change tonight."