Chelsea sign Brazilian youngster Lucas Piazon
Friday 25 March 2011
Chelsea have agreed a deal to sign Brazilian teenager Lucas Piazon from Sao Paulo, but will have to wait nine months for him to arrive at Stamford Bridge.
The 17-year-old Brazil youth international will not join until the next winter transfer window as he is not allowed to make the move until after his 18th birthday.
"The player has signed a pre-contract agreement and is expected to join us in January 2012 on a long-term deal," Chelsea said in a statement on their website.
Piazon is currently at the South American Under-17 Championships, having made his name at the Under-15 tournament in 2009 - played in England - when he finished as top scorer with 10 goals.
No fee was revealed for the player, but recent reports suggested the deal could be worth as much as £8million depending on numerous clauses being activated.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly