Chelsea transfer rumours and news: Blues consider Emmanuel Adebayor swoop; Saido Berhaino another target

All the biggest Cheksea transfer stories on the morning of Wednesday January 13 

Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink has admitted for the first time that he may be in the market for striker this January, fuelling rumours of a surprise move for ex-Tottenham man Emmanuel Adebayor. The Dutchman has limited options as clubs wait until the summer to sell their prized assets, leaving free agent Adebayor as the most likely candidate in a shallow pool of talent.

The Times report Hiddink has discussed the matter with the Blues board and a move for a new striker is imminent. Diego Costa, the first-choice at Stamford Bridge, is continuing to endure an inconsistent season in the capital while Loic Remy has grown frustrated with a lack of first-team opportunities.

Vaishali discusses Chelsea's January transfer window NEW

Another possible addition is West Bromwich Albion striker Saido Berahino, according to the Daily Express this morning. Hiddink is on the look-out for attacking flair to kick-start Chelsea’s season. The former Netherlands boss said: “We are short of options. I hope they will both stay fit. I would be concerned if either picked up another injury. We are thinking about the situation. We have to have good competition, double occupation in every position. We must not go into the dangerous situation when something happens with one of the two strikers.”

It remains to be seen whether Berahino would welcome an approach from the Blues as the England under-20s star has previously made it clear he prefers Tottenham. 

Branislav Ivanovic has agreed terms on a one-year contract extension after making it clear to Chelsea that he was not interested by approaches by Inter Milan and Fiorentina. The 31-year-old has come in for criticism this season after a series of poor performances eventually led to the dismissal of Jose Mourinho as manager.

Ivanovic has enjoyed a comeback of sorts under new boss Hiddink, however, and has been rewarded with the security of an extra year on his deal. The Blues have a strict policy of only offering senior stars over the age of 30 one-year deals – a stance which saw them lose Frank Lampard to a free transfer in 2014. According to The Sun, the deal will be signed in the next month.

Shakhtar Donetsk manager Mircea Lucescu has seemingly scuppered Chelsea’s hopes of signing Alex Teixeria this month. The Blues have been strongly linked with the athletic Brazilian, reportedly making a bid of £30m last week, but quotes out of Ukraine today suggest otherwise.

Lucescu said: “He needs to play more with us to develop further, although his level is already very high. But if he sticks around, the offers in June could be higher," claim reports in Italy. At the moment we have not received any offer and of course, in the future if we receive one which satisfies the club, then we will consider it.”

Comments