Ezequiel Garay latest: Manchester United target completes £12m move to Zenit St Petersburg
27-year-old Argentinian joins Andre Villas-Boas from Benfica
Long-term Manchester United target Ezequiel Garay has joined Andre Villas-Boas at Zenit St Petersburg.
The central defender has long been admired by those at Old Trafford but the former Chelsea and Tottenham manager has moved to take him from Benfica.
Garay, 27, is currently in action at the World Cup for Argentina.
The deal is said to be worth about €15m (£12m).
Benfica will only receive around €6m for the player as they own just 40 per cent of his rights. Real Madrid own 50 per cent, while third parties have a 10 per cent stake in the centre back.
Garay, who helped Benfica win the Primeira Liga last year released a statement, saying: "I want to thank everyone at Benfica for three magnificent years and especially the fans for all the love they gave me."
He has agreed a five-year deal with the Russian club.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Crystal meth addict 'gouged out his eyes and ate them' while high on drug, Australian MP claims
- 2 As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
- 3 The ten most unequal developed countries in the world
- 4 Saudi Arabia 'seeking to head United Nations Human Rights Council'
- 5 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland