Former Wigan striker Franco Di Santo moves to Werder Bremen
The Argentina international was a free agent
Wednesday 14 August 2013
Former Wigan striker Franco Di Santo has signed a three-year deal at Werder Bremen after passing a medical.
The 24-year-old Argentina international, who became a free agent after leaving Wigan at the end of June, scored five goals in 35 appearances for the relegated Barclays Premier League club last season.
Werder director of sport Thomas Eichin confirmed the frontman passed his medical at a Bremen clinic on Tuesday.
Eichin told the club's official website, http://www.werder.de: "We had been in the hunt for a robust striker with experience in a big league.
"We are very confident that we have found a good solution in Franco Di Santo.
"He is experienced but still possesses enough potential for development in order to make a great leap forwards.
"He wants to make it to the 2014 World Cup with Argentina and we would be very happy if he gained the necessary attention playing in Bremen for him to achieve that goal."
Di Santo also spent time with both Chelsea and Blackburn before moving to Wigan in 2010 and will be officially unveiled in Bremen on Thursday.
He admitted he is ready for the new challenge in Germany, saying: "Werder have a very good name and the Bundesliga is a very attractive league. I want to show what I am capable of here".
Chief executive Thomas Gauge is delighted to have secured the services of Di Santo until 2016, and he said in Bild: "We were looking for quality and we have found it."
Latest in Sport
MK Dons 4 Manchester United 0: Emmanuel Frimpong and Edin Dzeko lead the jokes as the internet reacts to humiliating defeat
Arsenal vs Besiktas: Seven reasons why Arsenal could suffer a Champions League upset
Arsenal transfer news: Could Arsene Wenger move for Danny Welbeck, Loic Remy or Edinson Cavani after Olivier Giroud's injury?
MK Dons vs Manchester United League Cup match report: Louis van Gaal is humiliated after Jonny Evans' error sparks drubbing
Fernando Torres: Chelsea striker insisting on permanent AC Milan deal - reports
- 1 Gun instructor accidentally shot dead by nine-year-old girl with Uzi gun
- 2 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 5 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?