Liverpool sign Brazilian midfielder Coutinho
Sunday 27 January 2013
Liverpool have followed up the signing of striker Daniel Sturridge by agreeing an £8.5 million deal for Internazionale's Brazilian midfielder Philippe Coutinho.
The 20-year-old is expected to undergo a medical next week, though Liverpool will need a work permit before the deal can be completed.
Inter paid £3.5m for Coutinho in 2008 when he was just 16. Big things were expected of him but last season he went on loan to Espanyol and his one Brazil cap came in 2010.
He was linked with a move to Southampton having worked with new manager Mauricio Pochettino at Espanyol. But he chose Anfield, where manager Brendan Rodgers is still hoping to add to his squad before the January transfer window closes. "We still need one or two additions," he said on Friday.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Malaysian cyclist could face disciplinary action after 'Save Gaza' gloves protest
- 2 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 3 Fifty Shades of Grey trailer provokes moral outrage from US parenting groups
- 4 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 5 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
The 'scroungers’ fight back: The welfare claimants battling to alter stereotypes
Arizona execution lasts two hours as killer Joseph Wood left 'snorting and gasping' for air
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Ukrainian military jet was flying close to passenger plane before it was shot down, says Russian officer
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: Massive rise in sale of British arms to Russia
Malaysia Airlines MH17 crash: victims’ bodies bundled in black bags and loaded onto trains
John Barrowman praised for Commonwealth Games opening ceremony gay kiss