Liverpool target Marco Reus rejects new Borussia Dortmund contract offer - reports
Rodgers continues strengthening his squad ahead of Premier League season
Tuesday 29 July 2014
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has reportedly been handed a huge boost in his ambitious pursuit of Borussia Dortmund star Marco Reus after the German international rejected a new contract with the Bundesliga club.
According to Bild, the country's largest newspaper, the 25-year-old has been a target for the Reds after selling Luis Suarez to Barcelona for £75m.
The attacking-midfielder, who missed much of the World Cup through injury, has a contract with Dortmund until 2017 but Jurgen Klopp's side are concerned that the £27m release clause could be met this summer.
While the reports are yet to be confirmed, they offer hope to those chasing his signature.
Rodgers' men, on the other hand, finished as runners-up in the Premier League and the former Reading and Swansea City head-coach has isolated Reus as the ideal choice to compliment a strike force which hit the back of the net on 101 occasions last term.
Read more: Liverpool complete Lovren signing
Sterling gives Liverpool victory over Olympiacos
Remy move off
Since the reports gained steam last week, Liverpool have secured the £20m capture of Dejan Lovren from Southampton while also pulling the plug on a deal for Queens Park Rangers striker Loic Remy.
Loic Remy scores for Newcastle - he won't be doing so for Liverpool next season Harry Redknapp, the manager at Loftus Road, was baffled by the circumstances - raising doubts over the Reds' claims that the France international had failed a medical.
"All the talk of a medical issue doesn’t make sense to me,” said the QPR manager.
"It can't be a medical (issue) because he's never been unfit. It's not possible. It certainly didn't make any sense - there has to be another reason. It can't be a medical issue.
"There must have been some kind of breakdown or they've decided to move in another direction.”
Latest in Sport
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland