Lucas Neill to play in UAE
Monday 22 August 2011
Lucas Neill has joined reigning United Arab Emirates champions Al Jazira, the Australia captain said on his official website.
The 33-year-old full-back played for Turkish side Galatasaray last season, having previously represented Everton, West Ham, Blackburn and Millwall in England.
Neill said on http://www.lucasneill.com: "As you've probably read, I've joined Al Jazira in the UAE for the next season. I'm really excited for the challenge and looking forward to setting up my new home in Abu Dhabi!
"It's exciting to be moving to one of the strongest teams in Asia. Al Jazira won the league comfortably last season, and now I get to help them defend the title and hopefully make an impression in the Asian Champions League.
"This decision is the first part of my three-year plan which will hopefully take me to at least the next World Cup."
Latest in Sport
Chelsea vs Tottenham: Eden Hazard exclusive interview - All is rosy in the garden of Eden
Arsenal vs Monaco: Theo Walcott 'involved in spat' with fans after Champions League defeat
It's time to stop the 'small club' jibes after Chelsea signed £200m Yokohama deal
Robbie Savage avoids driving ban - because he would get 'accosted' too much if he had to use public transport
Liverpool vs Manchester City: Brendan Rodgers and his fading Liverpool may have reached breaking point
- 1 Forget 'The Dress': Here are five of the biggest news stories you might have missed
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 Prince Harry leaving the armed forced to pursue conservation projects in Africa
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East