Newcastle look to trump Everton to signature of Wigan striker Arouna Kone
Magpies set to open talks over £5m transfer
Newcastle are set to open talks with the Wigan forward Arouna Kone about a possible £5m move to St James' Park.
The 29-year-old striker had looked set to move to Everton until Newcastle's late intervention.
Kone scored 11 goals for Wigan last season following his £2m move from Levante.
However his agent admitted he did not want to play in the Championship and that alerted Everton and former DW Stadium manager Roberto Martinez.
Kone had looked set to move to Goodison Park until Newcastle's late move. Kone will now meet representatives from St James' Park with Newcastle keen to sign a centre forward this summer.
The move for Kone is a major change of the policy brought in under chief scout Graham Carr, where the club concentrated on young players with resale value. Kone is 30 in November, although it is believed he still favours a move to Everton.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery reports: 'I'm living a fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Australian café owner sparks debate after saying 'No' to having unruly children on premises
- 5 Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991 with most Brits wanting to stay in'